Ladies I need a book recommendation please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nauifins73:
I just saw this in Rodales - going to see if Borders or Barns & Nobles has it today -
Olivia Joules & and Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding. The Review says: a beautiful journalist-turned-spy who scuba dives her way through madcap international waters.

Wow can't we all relate to this lifestyle? No? well we can pretend :D

I'll let you know if it is a good read.
Becky

I read it - not as good as Bridget Jones but still pretty entertaining, and has a scuba-mad ( as opposed to just mad) heroine, so we can all relate!

A few I just read:

Chasing the Devil: My tenty year quest to capture the Green River Killer. by Skeriff Dave Reichert (non-fiction, and close to home, I loved it!)

The Girls by Elaine Kagan (This one will keep you thinking something right until the very end, and then it changes everything! I would strongly reccommend it!)

Black Notice by Patricia Cornwell ( I LOVED this book, and it even has just a splash or romance in it.)

I personally own Black Notice if anyone would like to borrow it!

Kayla

nauifins73:
I just saw this in Rodales - going to see if Borders or Barns & Nobles has it today -
Olivia Joules & and Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding. The Review says: a beautiful journalist-turned-spy who scuba dives her way through madcap international waters.

Wow can't we all relate to this lifestyle? No? well we can pretend :D

I'll let you know if it is a good read.
Becky

The new Helen Fielding book is great.....I really enjoyed it.

Peace,
Cathie

I don't have alot of time to read but I travel a lot a listen to audiobooks in the car, while I'm painting, or just cleaning the house. Most libraries have a wide selection as well a book stores.

Janet Evanovich is funny and zesty, wouldn't mind meeting Ranger or Morelli some time, plus you get to meet Lula the 'ho and pistol packing grandma Mazur. OK enough there 10 in the Stephanie Plum series.
James Burke is my all time favorite author, not a funny romance, his work is (i don't know) gritty , seamy about life in Louisianna bayous as a cop. I just really really like his work.
The added bonus of audiobooks is the guy who reads most if not all his books, his voice is like someone whispering on the back of your neck, if he read an auto-mechanics manual I listen he's that good.

Good idea for a thread! I am going to hit the bookstore this week. Thanks for the recommendations, here are mine:

I read quite a bit (my Mom volunteers in her library's book shop and keeps my habit supplied :eyebrow: ).

I haven't seen Linda Howard mentioned yet. Good books...suspenseful with steamy interactions!

Diana Galbadon's "Outlander" series. When it was recommended to me, I thought time travel…nope, not for me. But once I read it, I was hooked and went out to buy all the series that I could.

Catherine Coulter. Most of her books are good. I just finished, 'Blow Out' which was very good.

I can't remember the author's of either 'Killjoy' or 'Mercy' but both books I remember as being good.

Oh! I can't believe I almost forgot to mention Stewart Woods!
One of my favorite books is Palindrome. Very good. I also love his Orchid Beach book. Orchid Beach is about a female Chief of Police that kind of inherits a Doberman. Among the papers to the dog, she finds a note that describes the dog as a “good working bi**h” and likens it to her.

Julie Garwood, “Ransom”. Not usually my typical read. Takes place in historical Scotland. Romance. Good summer read.

Enjoy!

The Eight by Katherine Neville is one of those books that you'll be buying multiple copies of because evry time you loan it to a friend they just have to pass it on to someone else.

Another good choice is The Blood Remembers by Terry Stanfield - I think this is going to have the same fate as I loaned it to my daughter who passed it on and now its been passed on to at least 4 others.

We Band of Angels. The story of 70 some odd American Army and Navy nurses who served in the Phillipines during WW2. These women went from cushy jobs in the military hospitals of Manila to serving in the battlefield hospitals of Bataan and on the island fortress of Corregidor. After the surrender of the Phillipines they went on to spend the next 4 years in Japanese internment camps in the PI. For the most part their story has been forgotten, depsite the fact that they were the first American women ever held as POW's. Fantastic read- and makes you realize how little many of us know about our history.

chickdiver:
We Band of Angels. The story of 70 some odd American Army and Navy nurses who served in the Phillipines during WW2. These women went from cushy jobs in the military hospitals of Manila to serving in the battlefield hospitals of Bataan and on the island fortress of Corregidor. After the surrender of the Phillipines they went on to spend the next 4 years in Japanese internment camps in the PI. For the most part their story has been forgotten, depsite the fact that they were the first American women ever held as POW's. Fantastic read- and makes you realize how little many of us know about our history.

Thanks so much for that recommendation! I bought the book and just finished reading it! What an exceptional group of women! Here are some women that we and our daughters can look up to!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom