La Paz Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vfox -

I'll be back from La Concha on June 19th. I'll probably post a trip report when I return, so maybe give this thread a check before you leave.

I'm still not sure who I'm diving with - Cortez Club is there, and I'm lazy... so probably just do that.

How are you getting to La Paz, flying direct?

ThanX Brandon

We'll be flying out of DFW and having a couple hours for coffee at LAX; how 'bout you?

we're not looking forward to the drive before & after each dive trip, but the LaConcha employee seems to think Cantamar is the "better deal" so we're hoping he's right.

Have you been to LaPaz at all before?

I look forward to your report - be sure to tell all the critters to watch for me :wink:

I'm flying from Dutch Harbor, so my flight schedule is considerably more screwy than yours...

I fly from here to Anchorage on the 10th, have a few hours in Anchorage, then leave at 1am in the morning for Portland. Quick plane change in Portland, then direct to San Jose del Cabo. All said, it'll take me nearly 24 hours to get there... about 15 hours of flight time. It'll be interesting - never flown down the ENTIRE west coast before, rofl.

My buddy is meeting me there (he's flying from New York), then we'll head up to La Paz. We haven't decided if we're going to take the bus, or get a driver. I'm leaning on taking a shuttle up there - the bus seems like it'll be more hassle than I want to deal with after a long flight down.

Cortez Club is fairly expensive... $135 for a 3-tank dive vs $102 at Cantamar. I'm kind of hoping Cortez Club will cut me a deal for 5 days of trips, I'll let you know how that goes.

The idea of being able to kick back at the resort and have all the diving details taken care of for me is sounding real good at the moment. I'm probably willing to pay a little extra for that.

And heck. Cortez Club has a bar on the dock. I'm hoping I can come back from diving, grab a margarita, rinse the gear, then settle in for a nice after diving snack of some yummy fish tacos.

I've never been to La Paz, and haven't been to Mexico since I was about 7. Hoping to relax at the resort, hit the town for some good food and drink, and check out the Malecon. I heard they have a neat aquarium too.

Plans are somewhat subject to what my travelling partner wants to do, but he's pretty mellow. He wants to try diving, so we'll do that for at least a couple days. Both of us want to try our hand at Baja fishing too, so I'm sure we'll fit at least a day of that in somewhere.

Trip has been planned for about 6 months, just started getting excited yesterday.

It's going to be a blast!

-B.

Hey, Brandon...

We're both gettin' closer to LaPaz !!

From your location and dive rank you may be used to colder temperatures than LaPaz even, but recent searching shows me the water temp in June will be cooler than we're used to (I know: we're warm-water wimps).

What suit are you planning to use?

Dove La Paz April 19th, 2007 recommend Cortex Club. General Manager is Luis, good guy! Our divemaster was Nelson. He showed us some good dives. I'd recommend flying in to La paz as driving into La Paz from Cabo would take you a couple of hours. Dove the rocks, saw hammerheads. Strongly recommend diving the sea lion colony. They have a good 4-day dive package with rooms at the La Concha Inn. The Cortez Club has a nice bar. You are my first post. Have any other questions, let me know!
I'm heading to Belize June 22.

Brandon:
A friend and I are headed to La Paz in June for some R&R. We're planning on staying at the La Concha resort - little closer to town, not so focused on diving (buddy not a diver).

If I were going just to dive - I'd stay at Club Cantamar for sure.

I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the heat... my Alaskan butt isn't going to handle 100 degree weather very well... or the 12 hour flight, heheh.

-Brandon

La Concha Resort is at the north end of town, with its own beach, very quiet at night and beautiful. The diving operation will come and pick you up with a van from the hotel.

We dove with 5mm suits, and were quite warm, but it was December. So I would recommend 5mm for the winter and 3mm for the summer.

1mm is definitely not enough thickness.

Regarding hammerheads, we were lucky to see a whole school on one occasion. They were schooling at the up-current end of the pinnacle, whereas had just descended the anchor line at the down-current end. It was fantastic. Try to be one of the first divers down the anchor line, and then hide yourself next to the reef so that you don't scare them away. They are easily spooked.

On any given dive, you might see one or two hammerheads who are swimming down-current along the reefs. As I said, they are easily spooked though. And within the course of a week, if you are lucky, you might see one school of them somewhere.

La Paz has a major airport, by the way, which you can fly directly into.

vfox:
From your location and dive rank you may be used to colder temperatures than LaPaz even, but recent searching shows me the water temp in June will be cooler than we're used to (I know: we're warm-water wimps).

What suit are you planning to use?

We're just coming out of winter diving here, and temperatures have been in the 37-40f range. I'm fairly accustomed to cold water diving =)

I checked the water temperatures, and found that they'd be similar to the temps the last time we were in Maui. I'm planning on wearing my 3mm sleeveless wetsuit, which is all I've ever worn in warm water.

Should work fine for me.

nereas:
La Paz has a major airport, by the way, which you can fly directly into.

True, but for our trip it'd actually take longer to fly into La Paz, and the ticket was about $600 more expensive.

-Brandon.

I have been diving with Cortez Club on 6 different occasions. Great experience. 5-7 mill probably needed this time of year.

Any trip updates? I'm heading to La Paz mid-Sept and staying/diving with Club Cantamar. I'm pretty excited as it's only 8 weeks away!! :D

vel525,

We're going the month after - 13Oct. First time at Cantamar and am really looking forward to the trip. Hope you have a good trip and post a report.

Fairfax ? I live in Loudoun County

NAIBDiver1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom