La Paz, Mexico Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dugongberbulu

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from a very relaxing 6 days in La Paz (Baja California Sur), Mexico. Below is a brief trip report.

Flights: operated by AeroMexico :shakehead: – well, on the way down, they didn’t screw anything up… but on the way back it was not as good. Connections are tight, but the staff (in Mexico, and at JFK) seem to believe that customers and service just don’t go together + there must be someone in that company doing all the work :confused: , because the people we dealt with definitely didn’t see getting to planes or destinations on time OR finding luggage (they lost) as their job :m16:

Hotel: we stayed at La Concha. Not bad place. A bit on the pricey side for what you get (as the room is a bit small, for that kind of $$$... and with that much dive gear). More than anything else, it seems that either 1) the manager was recently hired from AeroMexico, or 2) well, I just can’t think of any other reasons that people would be that laid back. The +-side, is that with minimal training, some paint (for the outside of the hotel), and some new pool/beach towels… they could justify the price).

Dive Operator: Club Cantamar. I can’t say enough about these people:yelclap: . Everyone, from reception to DM’s and boat Captains was great! The service was top notch, and they really bent-over-backwards to make sure we had everything we needed/wanted.

Diving: well, we should have done 4-6 weeks later… the viz was not great out in the blue. However, we had great dives at La Reina, La Reinitta, and Los Islotes (sea lion colony). Instead of going through it dive by dive, I’ve posted a video (it’s the “rough cut”, so please bear with me, still editing the final): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEsfg-LaGWI

Conclusion: we’ll be going back next year, in early October - definitely!

Great video! I'll be there the first week of september. Hope the viz gets better by then! How was the water temp?
I'm staying and diving with Club Cantamar. Glad to hear such good reviews about them. :D

Water temp varied a lot, depending on the site and day

Expect 27-29 degrees (C) at the shallower spots like Los Islotes and la Reina (3mm would be OK, but 5mm better), and down to 21 degrees at the deeper spots and early morning (I had a nice hooded vest and wore it all the time... and was nice and toasty warm :coffee: )

Enjoy!

Thanks for the nice video of LaPaz - looking forward to more !

We're going to Club Cantamar for the first time, third week of October.

NAIBDiver1

cool video. it was neat seeing the bullseye electric ray

Your sightings were definitely better than ours from June ! Club Cantamar really was great to dive with. Glad you had fun !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom