La Jolla Shores Shark gathering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone heard of this? It was mentioned in the Dive Training magazine Jan 2008 in the shark article. I'd like to set up a trip for when it's going on. Is it predictable? Can anyone give me more information as to exact place and time?
Thanks!!!

Hmmm... I hope someone posts about this.

Late September/early October is the best time. They come into the shallow water to mate. You can see them swimming between the legs of everyone standing in two feet of water, especially between Vallecitos Street and the Marine Room. The fun part is watching people run out of the water when they realize there are "sharks" all around them. :)

Sounds like a good time!

Oh, I thought this was a special event rather than the annual gathering of the leopard sharks. Of course leopards are pretty cool.

Has anyone heard of this? It was mentioned in the Dive Training magazine Jan 2008 in the shark article. I'd like to set up a trip for when it's going on. Is it predictable? Can anyone give me more information as to exact place and time?
Thanks!!!

Very predictable.. They congregate from the LJ Shores Resort down to the Marine Room in August-October, very heavily at times because its height of their breeding cycle..
Always in shallow water, 2-4ft deep.... They're harmless, but tend to freak the tourists out:D:eyebrow:

AU4B0A_1.JPG

AU3B06_1.JPG

15sept_054.jpg

Late September/early October is the best time. They come into the shallow water to mate. You can see them swimming between the legs of everyone standing in two feet of water, especially between Vallecitos Street and the Marine Room. The fun part is watching people run out of the water when they realize there are "sharks" all around them. :)
Thanks! Any more information would be very appreciated. I would like to plan a trip around this. Is there only a short time that they are there and the time frame is a crap shoot?

Thanks for posting this. I will plan a trip also next year!

Thanks! Any more information would be very appreciated. I would like to plan a trip around this. Is there only a short time that they are there and the time frame is a crap shoot?

Like I mentioned already, they're around from August (sparsely) to October. Your best bet is late September, when their population is pretty dense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom