LA County 2009 ADP DOUBLES PRICE/CUTS 44% OF PROGRAM!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjjman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I missed the 2008 class by a couple months, so I've been waiting nearly a year to sign up for this class. Much to my dismay (and despite what I was told by them last year), this year's program has been cut from 25 meetings to only 14. :shocked2: Not only that, the cost use to be $18/meeting, and has now almost doubled to over $35/meeting. :confused:

I am the type of person that wants the most thorough, in-depth, kick-ass training I can get so I was extremely excited when I was turned on to this program, only to be let down when I went to sign up.

I suppose they could have gotten very efficient and are squeezing the same learning into 56% of the time, but that's highly doubtful. Any thoughts? (And please don't turn this into a "Is that much training really necessary?" debate.)

25*18=450

14*35=490

You want the most thorough in depth kiss ass training and you are quibbling about 40 dollars?

Seems a bit odd to me - what's the problem?

25*18=450

14*35=490

You want the most thorough in depth kiss ass training and you are quibbling about 40 dollars?

Seems a bit odd to me - what's the problem?

Your math is idiotic. It's not the $40 he's complaining about; it's the fact he'd now be getting way less training for the same money.

What if it was one session for $490?

1*490=490 doesn't look that good, does it?

^ lol

I suppose they could have gotten very efficient and are squeezing the same learning into 56% of the time, but that's highly doubtful. Any thoughts?

It's not really a question of efficiency. Within reasonable limits, it's generally easier to learn the same amount of information in a longer class format than a shorter one.

While I feel for you, there's nothing keeping you from practicing and building your skillset after the class ends.

Your math is idiotic. It's not the $40 he's complaining about; it's the fact he'd now be getting way less training for the same money.

As a former math teacher, his math is fine.

My guess is that the LAC crew probably got some feedback that it was very difficult for the participants to be available for so many days and that it made sense to cut down the number of days one had to commit to and increase the hours per class. Makes sense to me. My guess is also that it is still the same great training. My original cert is LA County (when I was finally told I had to be certified after diving 8 years without one!).

As a former math teacher, his math is fine.
Note that Rainer didn't say the math was incorrect.

I find the math both correct and not idiotic. Of course, the important thing is whether the course content has been diluted by holding fewer sessions or if longer sessions allow the same material to be covered in less time. Since I don't believe we have those answers at this point, Rainer seems to be jumping to conclusions that may not be supported. Does anyone out there know?

And, of course, prices are going up on many things these days (except for those companies that need to clear out inventory in a bad economy).

I don't profess to be great at math but I have spent a night at the Holiday Inn Express and can tell you that most scuba classes are going through a "dumbing down". On this board there are discussions on the subject. It does not surprise me. As far as the OP saying he wanted to take a kick ass class, I commend him for that. At the same time that thinking is in the minority. Alot of people want to get the card by investing as little time possible.

It will not surprise me when LA cuts the 100 hour class. When they do that, I hope they don't call it the 100 hour class. The other day I went into AutoZone and asked to buy a case of oil. The young man brought out a box with 12 quarts of oil. I told him I wanted a CASE of oil not a HALF CASE. He tells me 12 quarts is what is called a case. I was expecting 24 quarts.

I find the math both correct and not idiotic. Of course, the important thing is whether the course content has been diluted by holding fewer sessions or if longer sessions allow the same material to be covered in less time. Since I don't believe we have those answers at this point, Rainer seems to be jumping to conclusions that may not be supported. Does anyone out there know?

And, of course, prices are going up on many things these days (except for those companies that need to clear out inventory in a bad economy).

I believe (though don't claim it to be unadulterated fact) that Rainer's wife is currently going through the LA County program, so he may.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom