Kudos for SubTropic Dive Center, Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCBusguy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is my first kudos for a business but I feel that they deserve it! I went down to KW for my birthday and scheduled three trips. Well, after several cancellations due to weather and/or lack of other divers, it came down to the last day. There was a group of 8 plus me scheduled to go out to the Vandenberg and I arrived early. There was a gentleman from Pennsylvania and me and no group. I had run into this twice before the past week and thought the curse would continue....It didn't! These folks went ahead and took the 2 of us out there, we did a two tank dive and back. What a great crew!! This was a very enjoyable dive with some very great folks.....the next time I go down there, I'll schedule all of my trips with them! I highly recommend SubTropic Dive Center!!

I was there for New Years and subtropic cancelled our New Years eve dive due to weather issues (25 mph winds/6-8 foot seas). I was bummed until they called all of the other shops on the island and got us a ride with Captains Corner.

Subtropic went out of their way to get us on the water even when they were not going. I would definately book with them my next trip to Key West.

I was going to dive with them all week a few months back but for some reason they don't like to get their boat wet. Capt Corner does a great job and likes getting wet!

A few years ago I flew down to Key West for a last-minute dive vacation, based on glowing reports of the current dive conditions from SubTropic. They conditions were "great" and they had some wreck and night dives planned. I booked a week of diving and flew down to Key West.

When I arrived in Key West I discovered that SubTropic had lied to me. None of the dive operators had been out on the water for a week because of poor sea conditions, high waves and very low visbility.

During one very expensive week in Key West, the sea conditions remained very poor. I managed to get only two dives in 15-20 feet of water with 4-foot viz with a different dive operator (it was a snorkel trip). SubTropic cost me about $2,000 for the vacation.

Three cheers for SubTropic!

Not!

Sounds like they reeled you in all right. I have had some good dives in Key West in shallow water as it is not always how much water is over you but what is under you that counts. But if they knew they had lousy conditions you should have been advised of that. I would have been pissed as well.

Back
Top Bottom