Kristina's memorial plaque discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In fact I'd hate to think that her memorial would be placed somewhere no one would see it and care for it.

Awe Ron,

I didn't suggest out of the way unloved and uncared for at all. I just suggested perhaps a place similar to the plaque at Lobos. Some where special to Kristina, beautiful, and easy to visit.

Last edited:
is titanium any better for salt water? we can chain it to the pipe. or to hole in the wall @ lobos.but i think pipe would be better, she liked BW and showing people around there.

Titanium is REALLY hard to work with. Brass and bronze quite easy.

We should put a zinc on plaque to keep the corrosion down.,

I don't believe brass would be at all suitable for immersion in salt water.

On the use of a zinc: Unless there are two different metals involved, would there be a need for a sacrificial anode (or would it even help?). Where I'm familiar with using them there are nearly always two different metals, or current leaks, involved (sometimes on nearby boats if not your own), and so we use a sacrificial anode of a less noble metal (e.g. zinc). But would this apply to a single type of metal all "alone" in the ocean? I really don't know as I'm more familiar with boats and completely unfamiliar with monuments; but I'm unsure enough about it to ask whether it's something that would be of use (in other words, asking politely vs. "challenging" you).

Since bronze is the best material for this job we need to secure the materials. Probably an old propeller, bent used strut, or an old rudder for hopefully free would fit the bill perfectly. A ship yard probably has something laying around in their scrap pile. Heck a rudder might work without even melting it!!! Just go to town right on it. Easy is good :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bronze.jpg
    Bronze.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 222
So are we doing it or what? If i got it right we have 2 spots we can place it at end of a pipe @ metridiums or next to Hole in the wall @ lobos. so where?

Who has a bronze rudder or wants to locate one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom