Krabi or Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anje77o

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I'm visiting Thailand at the end of December. For best visibility and abundant marine life, do you guys recommend Krabi or Phuket? And which do you recommend staying in? Do you recommend Phi Phi island for diving?

I would recommend Koh Lanta. From Lanta you have the easiest access to Hin Daeng & Hin Muang, Koh Ha, and the dive sites of Phi Phi. All from a very cool, relaxed island...

+1 for Lanta. But if it were between Krabi and Phuket I’d choose Krabi. Obviously a lot depends on what you want topside as they’re all different.

I've been to both and am choosing to head back to Krabi with the family again. Krabi is slightly more relaxing and family oriented though can be slightly boring as it's a rather small town imo.

The dive sites are shared with Phuket so you'll also see Phuket dive boats when you are at the dive sites but the boat ride from Krabi to the dives sites are shorter.

All the best in your decision!

I've been to both and am choosing to head back to Krabi with the family again. Krabi is slightly more relaxing and family oriented though can be slightly boring as it's a rather small town imo.

The dive sites are shared with Phuket so you'll also see Phuket dive boats when you are at the dive sites but the boat ride from Krabi to the dives sites are shorter.

All the best in your decision!
The boat rides to King Cruiser area are shorter from Phuket, plus from Phuket you can also dive in the Racha area.

You're comparing Ao Nang (more relaxing and family oriented) to Patong, just one of the places on Phuket. Kata and Ao Nang are IMO much more comparable.

Thanks for the replies. We've decided to stay in Phuket for 2 days and on Phi Phi Island for 2 days... which areas do you recommend for diving? Phi Phi, Similan Islands?

Thanks for the replies. We've decided to stay in Phuket for 2 days and on Phi Phi Island for 2 days... which areas do you recommend for diving? Phi Phi, Similan Islands?

Phi Phi has some pretty cool area's, the viking's cave is amongst my favorite.

I'd head for the Similans during that timeframe. Phi Phi is nice but Similans diving is better imo.

I think I definitely want to do both. Is Similan for advanced divers only? How about diving Phi Phi vs Phuket?

How about diving Phi Phi vs Phuket?

In my fairly limited experience of diving the area, I enjoyed the sites closer to Phi Phi more, such as the Bida sites & Koh Haa, but you can visit many of the same sites from both places, as well as Krabi.
Be aware that, as beautiful Koh Phi Phi is topside, the main area Ton Sai Bay is totally over-developed these days. I was shocked by what I saw last time I visited in 2014.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom