K'ooben Laab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still say don't rely on Google search or google maps. On the map you attached, they have Los Sera's located incorrectly.
Yep, as I mentioned my having to move Mega. I like to double check with street view, but that didn't work this time. Is it new? Tripadvisor confirms that it's on Avenida Coldwell (30 ave) between calle Morelos & calle 5.

Love K’ooben Laab. A block south from Los Seras, same side of the road. The pasta is incredible. Very inexpensive! Sourdough bread is so good. They even serve wine! Tiny location with limited seating.

Yep, as I mentioned my having to move Mega. I like to double check with street view, but that didn't work this time. Is it new? Tripadvisor confirms that it's on Avenida Coldwell (30 ave) between calle Morelos & calle 5.

New is a relative term. The Google Street View you are looking at is a mash-up of different street views taken from 2010 through 2018. Some parts are over ten years old. Another reason I don't like the way information aggregation services offer data to the public. All these services (Siri, Alexa, Wikipedia, Google Maps, etc.) are unreliable.

Google maps certainly is an improvement with AAA maps. We did some worrisome exploring the time I drove to Chiquilá a decade or so ago, misunderstood the tollway west from Cancun, couldn't exit, etc. I did not like driving in the dark at all and was worried about arriving so late until we got there. A couple of counties over from my home, Apple maps wants me to drive thru a fence and pasture on a long vanished cemetery road, after a weird routing 40 miles out of my way to that county.
On the map you attached, they have Los Sera's located incorrectly.
I put in an edit to move it around the corner onto 30th ave. It was approved but hasn't updated yet.

Ate there last week. Will be on my to-do list again very soon.

I still say don't rely on Google search or google maps. On the map you attached, they have Los Sera's located incorrectly.

The Google Maps grid seems to be offset from reality for some reason. I sent them a feedback message awhile ago that they need to resurvey Cozumel for Street View, since those images are getting pretty old, as noted in another post. That said, people can add landmarks to Google Maps at the correct location. (I've added PROFECO and SEFIPLAN)

they need to resurvey Cozumel for Street View, since those images are getting pretty old

As I explained earlier, the Google street view of Cozumel is a mashup; a cut-and-paste job of many different runs they have made while taking pictures on the island. It s a time machine video that is a melange of images taken on different dates, sometimes years apart, on the same street. To see how this works, just look at the space where the Diamonds International building is on Melgar just south of Restaurante Palmersa. It is not there in this street view, proving it was photographed prior to construction a few years ago. Then, go to the front of Scotiabank on the corner of 2nd street and 5th avenue. The sign in the window states that the date is March 3, 2018. Then, if you go to the Covi on the corner of Av. 30 and 2nd street, you can "toggle" the view by advancing and retreating the viewpoint and it will show different views of Covi taken on different dates. I guess that marks a splice. I am attaching images:

covi 1.jpg
covi 2.jpg

Another time-machine splice of images taken years apart appears at Ave 30 and Rosado Salas, below:

superhit 1.jpg

superhit 2.jpg

Google was shooting more images a couple of months ago on Cozumel, but I can only assume they will do as they have always done; just splice in some of the new views and leave others as they are. This may have something to do with what one of the past presidentes of Cozumel told me (can't remember if it was Lito or Fredy); Google wants a subsidy from a city to keep the streetview current.

All this just goes to say, DON'T TRUST COZUMEL GOOGLE STREET VIEW! There is no way of telling whether the image you are looking at is ten years old or more and what parts are recent; they are all mash-ups.

And, you are 100% correct. ANYBODY can add anything to Google maps. Just like Wikipedia, Google makes no checks to see if the data added by a member of the public is correct or wildly incorrect. If enough people complain about a data point, they may change it. However, they also may just leave it incorrectly tagged and it is the viewer's tough luck.

Please consider deleting this entire thread. They have seriously excellent good, ridiculously low prices but only 4 tables. If more people find this gem we will never get in :wink: . Make sure if you take a cab they know where it is. 1 st cab we ask how much to take us there, he wasn't familiar with it but indicated it was near downtown plaza and he could get us within a couple of blocks for 130 pesos. Guess he thought we were newbies. Sent him away and next cab knew exactly were it was ( not downtown area) and took us for 70 pesos. Love this restaurant!!! Bill

This is one of those places that I intend to give a second chance next time I am on the island. First visit in March I left a little underwhelmed. It was late in the day and the menu choices were limited . Maybe I was tired or not really hungry but wanted to try it out. It was quite affordable and the staff very friendly.

Make sure if you take a cab they know where it is. 1 st cab we ask how much to take us there, he wasn't familiar with it but indicated it was near downtown plaza and he could get us within a couple of blocks for 130 pesos. Guess he thought we were newbies. Sent him away and next cab knew exactly were it was ( not downtown area) and took us for 70 pesos. Bill

He probably thought it was another pasta place off the square. I forget the name; lots of people like it but I was underwhelmed and the prices were twice those of K'ooben L'aab. For less food and less service. But they did have lots of tables on the sidewalk. I haven't been back to that one...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom