Kona Diving in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy8876

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking about making a trip to Kona before I transfer from Hawaii at the end of September. I've read through some reviews, looked at about half a dozen websites, but was still wondering a few things. The dives we (Kanani and I) want to do are the manta night dive, a blackwater dive and 3 day dives. Any tips on where I should go for the best rates? Does anyone offer a decent military or kama'aina rate? I know a lot of companies don't post their best rates online and with my upcoming move I need to be a little cautious with how much I spend.

I just got back from Kona about 2 hours ago. We dived with Dive Tek Hawaii. GREAT OP! Keith, Chuck and Colin will take very good care of you. Keith is the owner and instructor; Chuck is an instructor and also the boat captain and Colin is a first rate Divemaster. Nice boat, plenty of shade, snacks, sandwiches and chilled bottled water. The best thing about them? THEY ARE NOT A CATTLE BOAT. They do nice small trips and whoever books the boat first gets to pick the sites. They let you dive your own profile, don't rush you and you can breathe your tank down within limits.....NONE of that typical "be back on the boat in 30 minutes" hooey that seems to be the norm (cuz we gotta get back and pick up the next load of cattle) Colin is very attentive and will take good care of you should you need care, in the background if you don't.

It actually got to the point where being a little chilled ended my dive as opposed to a time limit or breathing gas issue. Great Op!

www.divetekhawaii.com

Anyone know which shops offer the bluewater/blackwater dives?

It looks like 3 days of diving will cost $500-700 depending on the shops. It's almost cheaper to fly back to Moalboal!

Randy,

Let's look at reality. Moalboal is fantastic for diving but they don't have the night manta dive. I went to Kona last year at the end of September, beginning of October and I had the pleasure to dive with many shops.

The reason I do this is to check out the quality of the shops.

What I found out about the shops in Kona were, Kona Honu had a great boat and friendly owner, Jack's was a bit expensive but they had the funniest guys on the boats, I also was lucky enough to dive with WannaDive and Steve.

For overall service, Steve at WannaDive would be first because he has the smallest boat which gives them the opportunity to give better hands on service. Especially to newer divers.

My advice for the manta night dive, looking for the least expensive is fine because the end product is the same. If you can do without some of the luxuries, then it's okay. Also, as an additional piece of advice, bring your own light! Some shops charge for a light and some don't. So when you are pricing, ask if they include a light.

Chris

Check with SB member LioKai about Big Island Divers manta ray/black water dive combos.

I sent him a PM. Thanks Kate, you rock!!

LioKai

i here you guys have been getting a few of thoes big kitty fish crusing the beaches up north something about a dead whale?

Neptune Charlies in Kona was wonderful to deal with. They have a brand new 42ft boat and the brightest lights underwater (Canon Lights I believe). I've also hear good things about Jacks Dive Locker. Price was $89.00 and was worth every penny. They also had a professional videographer who video taped the entire experience and you were part of the footage (extra $80 bucks, but was a cool souvenior). HTH

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1108165268

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom