Kona Diving in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Universal Diver:
What I found out about the shops in Kona were, Kona Honu had a great boat and friendly owner, Jack's was a bit expensive but they had the funniest guys on the boats, I also was lucky enough to dive with WannaDive and Steve.

For overall service, Steve at WannaDive would be first because he has the smallest boat which gives them the opportunity to give better hands on service. Especially to newer divers.

Chris

On LioKai's behalf, I'm sad that I left him out! Sorry Matt! I never had the chance to dive with you and BID but was able to wave at you from Steve's boat. In fact, I wish I had had the chance to dive with you and chat.

Chris

Grizz:
LioKai

i here you guys have been getting a few of thoes big kitty fish crusing the beaches up north something about a dead whale?

That is what I have been hearing too, although I have not heard about a whale. Did have a Galapagos shark come into view on the Black Water dive last night. Very cute.

Universal, look me up next time you are in town. I'll come dive with you on Wanna Dive. Steve runs an awesome charter.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. We are looking at flying out around the 30th now. Four days should be enough and then I'll come back to Oahu and fly out to Seattle on the 5th.

Randy8876,

if your moving to Seattle and wana dive look me up and ill take you out for a dive.

Most places have a kama'aina rate, they just don't advertise and usually require proof of residence. Pacific Rim Divers has a great reputation. They only take 6 divers out and is a smaller operation than say Jack's Diving Locker. However, they don't do night dives. I have dove with Jack's. They do a great job, but for the manta dive, I believe they charge more than other boats.

I recommend Jack's Diving Locker www.jacksdivinglocker.com . I got certified with those guys a few years ago and have great memories from that experience. It's not one of those six pack ops, but even on the big boats, they try hard to make it a personalized experience. They have a wide variety of advanced trips which I didn't partake in, but have heard good things about.

I've been to Kona a few times recently, and have become absolutely addicted to black water dives... and heartily second the recommendation to consult LioKai about them. My only disappointment was that I only got a chance to do one blackwater dive when I was in town for the weekend.

ladycute1:
I've been to Kona a few times recently, and have become absolutely addicted to black water dives... and heartily second the recommendation to consult LioKai about them. My only disappointment was that I only got a chance to do one blackwater dive when I was in town for the weekend.

Aloha Liz!
Girl, you rock! I looked forward to seeing you and the other girls for a month before your arrival. The long weekend was far too short, I think you all need to give me a week next trip.

Send me your email via PM please. I have a few pics for you to see from that weekend. Just to tease you a bit, after years of trying I have finally got a good pic of the longnose hawkfish from the arch on the Saturday long range trip.

Matthew

I just got back from Kona and dove with Kona Honu.It was a first class operation with a great captain and crew.I didnt do the night manta dive with them and regret it, maybe next time.
We stayed at the sheriden and every night Mantas come in front of the resort to feed in front of the lights.Friday night it was calm enough to get in at the public access point next to the resort in the bay and swim around to the front of the resort and swim with the Mantas till your hearts content.If the the south swell is not up this is a very cool option,free mantas!

Grizz:
Randy8876,

if your moving to Seattle and wana dive look me up and ill take you out for a dive.

I wish I could take you up on your offer, but I'm only staying for a week, then I'm off to the East Coast for a year. I'm hoping to go diving on the 12th or 13th of October probably at Edmonds, then I'll be leaving town to drive to Yellowstone for a week stay there before continueing on to Norfolk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom