Komodo, from a different perspective.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Garcia's videos are seriously interfering with my day job. :)

And that's a good thing - Thanks Alejandro.

Will

You must know me as this seems targeted at me. I've recently gotten into multicopters, have been an RC enthusiast for years, have been wanting FPV for a while, am an Aerospace Engineering student, and have been in love with diving for over a decade. This video is incredible. I've done the FPV thing, and I can tell everyone else here that you've got talent. It is NOT easy to make it look good.

If you don't mind a little off-topic-ness, what tricopter do you have? How about FPV gear? I'm REALLY tempted to get more into it.

Nice manta video. Is the first part the GoPro? There is a serious amount of vignetting in the footage. What filter were you using and what was the footage shot in?

You must know me as this seems targeted at me. I've recently gotten into multicopters, have been an RC enthusiast for years, have been wanting FPV for a while, am an Aerospace Engineering student, and have been in love with diving for over a decade. This video is incredible. I've done the FPV thing, and I can tell everyone else here that you've got talent. It is NOT easy to make it look good.

If you don't mind a little off-topic-ness, what tricopter do you have? How about FPV gear? I'm REALLY tempted to get more into it.

Hey, thanks. :D
You may take a look here for more details about the tricopter.

Nice manta video. Is the first part the GoPro? There is a serious amount of vignetting in the footage. What filter were you using and what was the footage shot in?

Yes, the first part was shot with a GoPro Hero2 in a standard housing with an Oculus flat port, most of the vignetting though is from the rubber lens hood I made to protect the port from scratching, you just look at it funny and bam!, scratched. I think I didn't press it down all the way against the housing and that's why it's visible in the frame.
I wanted to buy the new GoPro diving housing but I couldn't find it anywhere here in Bangkok. (note to self: look again)
Besides the flat port there's no filters, although I tweaked the colours when I edited the video; the footage was shot at 1080p in Wide mode.

Here's the last video from the trip, a mishmash of clips I took with either the GoPro Hero2 or the Sony NEX 5N. You can tell if it's the GoPro by the vignetting... you see, it has a practical purpose! :eyebrow:

[youtubehq]Lt_UKGfLKmE[/youtubehq]

I wanted to buy the new GoPro diving housing but I couldn't find it anywhere here in Bangkok. (note to self: look again)

Did you go to DiveSupply? If they dont have it there, im sure that if you talk to Aey he can help you out!

What software did you use to bump the color in the last video (which I really enjoyed, BTW)? I'm new to the video editing business, and have been using GoPro's own software thus far, but I don't think I'm getting the color range you are at similar depths and light conditions.

What software did you use to bump the color in the last video (which I really enjoyed, BTW)? I'm new to the video editing business, and have been using GoPro's own software thus far, but I don't think I'm getting the color range you are at similar depths and light conditions.

I used Adobe Premiere, but any half decent software should allow you to fiddle with the colour levels, in this case I increased the reds and decreased the greens and blues. But bellow 10 meters (15 in very clear water) depth there's little to gain from that.

I came back from Komodo three weeks ago after another liveaboard with Dive Komodo on the Tatawa, weather this time wasn't very good but it was an amazing experience once more. At Manta Alley we were treated with 30/40 mantas in one dive.

Of course I took my flying toys with me, unfortunately the plane couldn't fly, I only found after coming back that I had plugged something the wrong way... :shakehead: That left me only with the tricopter to do aerial photography.
So once again, Komodo from a different perspective, hope you enjoy it :)

A bonus shot, it's a nice one but I had to chop it up for the edit, here it is in one single take:

I'm already thinking of going back, maybe in June or July when the islands are covered in green after the rainy season.

Great video, I loved it!

Here's the second video, you don't see this everyday! not even in Komodo. :D

[youtubehq]nerqAeWFKD0[/youtubehq]

Absolutely fantastic! Do you have some sort of real-time video feed of what the camera is "seeing"'?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom