Knife placement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm getting into technical diving and I don't plan on carrying a knife...
I do plan on carrying my Z-knife and depending on what type of diving i'm doing i might carry my shears. Not to hijack this thread but tell me a time you used you knife in which you couldn't have used a z-knife (im sure there are a few situations but how many?). I can cut my webbing in a split second with my z-knife.
anyway...
i think the point of all these people commenting is that a knife might be less important compared to the many things listed.
but definitely don't put it on your leg or buy a 12 inch knife unless you own a shop and wish to impress your students to buy one.

maybe?

I'm getting into technical diving and I don't plan on carrying a knife...
I do plan on carrying my Z-knife and depending on what type of diving i'm doing i might carry my shears. Not to hijack this thread but tell me a time you used you knife in which you couldn't have used a z-knife (im sure there are a few situations but how many?). I can cut my webbing in a split second with my z-knife.
anyway...
i think the point of all these people commenting is that a knife might be less important compared to the many things listed.
but definitely don't put it on your leg or buy a 12 inch knife unless you own a shop and wish to impress your students to buy one.

maybe?
I think you might want to get into technical diving before telling technical divers a better way to do things, kinda try before you advise ya know?

I find more z-knives on the bottom than anything else. Of the ones I find, all the blades are rusted.

The idea of a z-knife is ok, but the application just didn't turn out right. A (proper) knife however cuts stuff just as quickly, doesn't have a velcro strap to wear out, and doesn't turn to a thin rusty piece of metal on freshwater dives.

Wow....Looks like I really opened a can of worm here. Truth is, I am very calculated person and have approached my diving in the same manor. I plan to become an instructor in the future as well but whole heartedly believe that a few years working as a divemaster will make me that much better of an instructor. I owe it to my future students! I am approaching my interest into more technical diving in the same manor. I subscribe to the old "7P's" addage - "Proper Prior Practice Prevents Piss Poor Performance". I don't want my first day of "technical" dive training to be the first time i've worn a BP/W. I am hoping that by being comfortable and competent in some of the gear will allow me to focus more on learning and technique. Thanks again for EVERYONE's opinion......It's been an eye opener!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom