Knife placement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its not a question of practicing in singles or doubles. My tech rigs cost about 10k more than my single rigs so unless he has money to burn he may want to rent tech gear (if he can) before he spends alot of money on things he won't be able to use in class or get his money back out of. Besides the skills he needs to practice are skills specific to wearing doubles like isolating manifolds and other things. All in all he can do what he wants just passing on some life lessons

Dewd...seriously?? I put together a Tech "enough" rig for about $1500, including the doubled HP100s I bought (but not including the drysuit). If he buys the right stuff first, he will spend much less money in the long run. Granted, I use a lot of the same toys between my singles and doubles rigs, so that saves money, but still. 10K? Recycle, man.

Peace,
Greg

Dewd...seriously?? I put together a Tech "enough" rig for about $1500, including the doubled HP100s I bought (but not including the drysuit). If he buys the right stuff first, he will spend much less money in the long run. Granted, I use a lot of the same toys between my singles and doubles rigs, so that saves money, but still. 10K? Recycle, man.

Peace,
Greg

You are spot on. I spent a little more on my singles rig and regs. Probably around $2k or so, and that's with a Halcyon BP/W, Worthington HP100 steel tanks, and Zeagle Flathead/Z regs. So for doubles I need bands, a manifold, and a new wing. So that's about $800 more. A second set of tanks would be nice, but not necessary.

Well lets see for my tech rig I use a DUI drysuit-3500.00 SCUBAPRO regs 2000.00 Cylinders with rigging 1200.00 HeO2N2 computer 1500.00 Harness wings and backplate 1000.00 Canister light 1700.00 and the list goes on....I think the disconect here is what some people refer to at "tech" diving. For me tech diving is TRIMIX so no you will not be able to set yourself up for tech safely without the money for gear. And as to the issue of practicing situational and buddy awareness, come on he is a DM. It comes down to train how you dive so trying to practice tech diving on a non-tech rig is not a good idea.

Well lets see for my tech rig I use a DUI drysuit-3500.00 SCUBAPRO regs 2000.00 Cylinders with rigging 1200.00 HeO2N2 computer 1500.00 Harness wings and backplate 1000.00 Canister light 1700.00 and the list goes on....I think the disconect here is what some people refer to at "tech" diving. For me tech diving is TRIMIX so no you will not be able to set yourself up for tech safely without the money for gear. And as to the issue of practicing situational and buddy awareness, come on he is a DM. It comes down to train how you dive so trying to practice tech diving on a non-tech rig is not a good idea.
Assuming that I actually believe you paid retail for everything (I don't), you're still not going to pay $10k more for a doubles rig than singles.

Can light is the same cost for doubles or singles.
Drysuit is used for doubles or singles.
You're only adding 1 extra first stage on your regs doubles or singles.
Backplate and harness is used for doubles and singles.
Computer isn't required or needed for even the biggest dives.

So really, here's what we have.
Wing - $300
Extra 1st stage - $250

Your estimate was only about $9600 off.

So really, here's what we have.
Wing - $300
Extra 1st stage - $250

Your estimate was only about $9600 off.

Buy used and it's even less. Seriously, sounds like that guy got taken to the cleaners.

Until your diving is SOLID in singles, no reason to migrate to doubles.

Again if you refer to the original post he is just starting out and in the process of buying gear. You all assume he has things like a dry suit/can light/ multiple regs which he may not so yes it is going to cost him thousands of dollars if he does not have these things. My original comment was to discuss gear issues with the intended instructor before he buys things he will not be able to use. Besides I can see by your response you have never done a tech dive. You need a minimum of 3 complete reg setups to start with not 2 unless you plan on not doing any deco then again that is not a tech dive. Remember it is what will be required for a class not stuff you throw together with your friends to go diving.

Somebody just got done with some tech training looks like. And got snookered into a bunch of overpriced gear. My 2 BPW set ups- single and double- 600. 2 HOG D1 coldwater regs-308 new on sale for both! Drysuit 800 on up. Do not need a $3500 DUI to start. Mixed gas computer- not needed. Tables and BT work great with any comp in gauge mode. al40 deco bottle and balanced piston reg 300 complete. Al 80 stage and reg another 400. Double Lp85's 700, double Lp72's 300, dbl lp 95's killer deal from a friend-380 shipped from Minnesota. Tech dives do not always require deco. They do require a great deal of practice that can be done in 15 feet of water. tech dives do not always require trimix. Helium is nice but not always the best choice. Depends on conditions. Tech dives can be done in the keys in a 5 mil with dbl al80's and a single 40 cu ft bottle. It does not always require a can light costing 1500 to start. A good 10w HID or 12 watt LED can be had for around 500. It also is easier and in fact better to get the basic gear and work on skills before spending thousands on gear and finding out the skills, knowledge, and good judgment were forgotten somewhere along the way.

No i have been mixed gas tech diving for many years and the fact that i buy top of the line gear and not look like a gypsy S%^t wagon in the water is beside the fact. once again all i am saying is that this guy should talk to the people he is going to be taking the class from before he spends additional money. I am sure i could sit here all day long and listen to how a friend of a friend needed some cash so I got some "cheap" gear. See you still spent 4k with your "deals". Oh well if the original post is still reading this good luck

:focus:
I don't think knife placement is a key feature of technical diving gear configurations (unless you want to go DIR, in which case everything is key). I am an unreconstructed "inside of the calf" man, and proud.

Oh, and +1 on getting used to BP/W with singles before moving to a double rig.

:focus:
I don't think knife placement is a key feature of technical diving gear configurations (unless you want to go DIR, in which case everything is key). I am an unreconstructed "inside of the calf" man, and proud.

Oh, and +1 on getting used to BP/W with singles before moving to a double rig.

+1. Or on my left bicep. I can't see the knife if it's on my belt. I've dropped one because of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom