Knee pads for shorty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBen

Registered
Reaction score
Northern NY State, just south of Montreal, Canada.
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I have just purchased my first wetsuit, a shorty. Unfortunately, my "unique" body shape causes the end of the legs not to for a tight seal around my lower thigh.

I'm wondering if there is a neoprene kneepad or some other item that I could place over the ends of the suit to form a better seal.

Thanks.

HI Ben,

First let me suggest that you invest 10 minutes in your profile. For instance if we knew that you were in Florida or southern California it would be easy for folks to recommend a wetsuit house that could do a proper alteration. That's not so easy to in say...Wyoming.

Apparently you got an oversize suit when you needed a custom and now you want to customize it after the fact. That's OK but it may not be the easiest, best or most cost effective way to a good end. We're all unique and scuba gear is adaptive equipment in every respect so lets see what your options are.

If the suit is also a little long consider turning the last 2 inches into the suit. this will form a nice dam while taking up some of the extra opening. It will hold water in a weird way when you are getting out of the water but it's very effective while diving.

You might also consider taking a wedge out of each leg. The you need to re-do the butt joint with wetsuit cement (glorified contact cement) and do some of your nicest stitching. The edge binding will also need to be put back proper. It's not all that tough if you are a DIY sort of soul.

Other than that you are getting into some new territory using stuff like elastic strapping from a fabric department and such. If the legs are open then they are not fitting snug above the opening. This will result in a water pump, not a wetsuit. Do not think that by making your wetsuit into a tight water bag it will work.

My suggestion is to get into a customized suit by either retuning this if it's not too late and buying custom. If that is not in the cards get it altered either DIY or by a pro. Many of the custom folks you find in the forum will do this work to demonstrate their value before you need your next suit.

Pete

OK, profile completed! I'm in very northern NY state, so wetsuit customizers are not easy to come by.

The owner of my LDS thought this suit fit best of the bunch he had. He felt customization was out due to budget.

He also suggested the roll up method you mentioned, which I did when I first used the suit in the pool.

I won't be getting into the water again until May for the Open Water part of my cert, but the DS is providing a 7mm suit for that dive since the water will be cold.

I bought the suit for diving in mid-May in Belize, so not sure if the fit is a major issue or not. I guess opinions on that would be appreciated.

I'll probably go custom for a 7mm full suit when I return (a get money built up) for diving locally.

OK, profile completed! I'm in very northern NY state, so wetsuit customizers are not easy to come by.

The owner of my LDS thought this suit fit best of the bunch he had. He felt customization was out due to budget.

He also suggested the roll up method you mentioned, which I did when I first used the suit in the pool.

I won't be getting into the water again until May for the Open Water part of my cert, but the DS is providing a 7mm suit for that dive since the water will be cold.

I bought the suit for diving in mid-May in Belize, so not sure if the fit is a major issue or not. I guess opinions on that would be appreciated.

I'll probably go custom for a 7mm full suit when I return (a get money built up) for diving locally.

mid May in Belize, I doubt fit will be issue. I've been there 3 times (on cruise ships) and water was in the 80's every time.

Even a custom 7mm suit gets very pricy, If you plan on doing a lot of diving back home save a little more and go for a custom dry suit.

Back
Top Bottom