KISS Sidewinder Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a dedicated sidemount diver, I have recently completed a 3-days crossover on Sidewinder with thecavetobe.com in the Lot, France, in order to see if this unit suits my needs as a non-backmounted rebreather. My rental unit was quasi-new and came with a single hardwired Shearwater Petrel 2. From the short time with the unit, my conclusion is there are more cons than pros:

*The WOB (in perfect horizontal position with all the sorb dry) is not great. A slight change in trim (head up or down 15-20°) and WOB actually becomes disappointing.

*The flood tolerance appears very limited - the ingress water goes only to the right canister (exhalation) and gets the sorb wet, thus increasing the WOB. IMHO the WOB and water ingress go hand in hand in a death spiral. The water ingress in the right canister might easily create a caustic cocktail film at the bottom of the canister (as it was my case after 90 mins of dive with 7 bailouts practiced) and there are no baffles fitted to contain it.

*The price (for Sept 2022) of the bare unit is prohibitive, 5130 ex-VAT for: 2 x canisters foam-padded, 1 x corrugated hose, 1 x counterlung, 1 x dual-button MAV, 3 x MP hoses, 1 x oxygen 2nd stage (of crappy quality), 1 x 4pin connector for Petrel 3. No monitor, no oxygen sensors, no oxygen tank, no BCD, nothing as such added in the above price.

The XDeep Tec 2.0 BCD also requires the butt OPV to be relocated to the right side and extend its string down to the right canister through a holding loop, in order to be reached easily by right hand, otherwise it is unreachable – canisters are in the way.

I therefore would not recommend it as a first CCR, particularly to a non-dedicated sidemounter.

Otherwise the unit is quite compact and comfortable underwater and might be well suited to a Mexico-style cave diving.

For me it is a no go for the time being under this configuration at this price. I would give it another try next year, following the expected counterlung modification and its integration into the XDeep BCD itself, underneath the bladder and over the weight pockets.

My quest for finding a suitable non-backmounted rebreather as an alternative to my well proven JJ-CCR continues.

Attachments

• Prix public KISS Sept 2022.xlsx
    11 KB · Views: 88
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom