Kinda of battery question about my Uwatec SmartCom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mabuhay!! From the Philippines!! I've been to Puerto Gallera, Malapascua, and now Moalboal (16 dives so far). Guess what!! My Uwatec Smart com "E8" on me this morning. So after all the opinions and official word from Scubapro my **** dies on me in the middle of my dive vacation. This will be the first and last Scubapro computer I ever buy!!! Now we know real world what the scuba pro battery at 68% is like!

Mines down to 61% and still working like a charm, im sure its relevant to the battery quality. I always carry a redundant computer though just in case this ol jalopey dies on me during a dive series...

Karl_H, apparently you haven't dealt with the Smart Series of computers. They're not like the others on the market. We sold them at our shop, and I had more than one customer who treated these like the other computers running double-A's or some other low-end battery.

First, the battery has several more YEARS of life in it at 67%. The computer is designed to get you through a long vacation even when it gets to "0%" life left.

Second, no shop can replace the battery. It must go back to the factory. This is why they have that hidden end of life in the battery display (they figure most people won't check the computer until just before the trip). But Scubapro won't even replace the battery until you're down around 25%. I know this from first hand experience. I had a customer who insisted that we have the battery changed out in a situation like this, and Scubapro refused to issue the RMA for service.

The reason they replace the battery at the factory is that some shops tried to replace it with lower quality batteries in store, resulting in more problems than they were willing to handle.

If you are the original owner with the "batteries for life" card, they not only will change out the battery when the time comes, but will do a complete diagnostic, change out several soft parts (like the screen protector), and all for free. If not, expect about $150 for a change.

"Apparently" Karl was right on the money! :D

Mabuhay!! From the Philippines!! I've been to Puerto Gallera, Malapascua, and now Moalboal (16 dives so far). Guess what!! My Uwatec Smart com "E8" on me this morning. So after all the opinions and official word from Scubapro my **** dies on me in the middle of my dive vacation. This will be the first and last Scubapro computer I ever buy!!! Now we know real world what the scuba pro battery at 68% is like!

you can have your computer checked at pacifica dive center in mandaue city, cebu. if your staying longer in cebu they might be able to change the batteries for you.. i just had my scubapro regs serviced there and i think there the ones handling scuba pro in the philippines now.. you can reach them at 032 2366539

Dude, even you plan to bring to White Tip Dive shop (Manila)your ScubaPro-Uwatec SMART for Battery replacement ,it will take months to bring it back to you because they have to send it to Scubapro/Uwatec Hong Kong to replace the battery. any way 67 percent still a lot..
Enjoy your holiday

Dude, even you plan to bring to White Tip Dive shop (Manila)your ScubaPro-Uwatec SMART for Battery replacement ,it will take months to bring it back to you because they have to send it to Scubapro/Uwatec Hong Kong to replace the battery. any way 67 percent still a lot..
Enjoy your holiday
I thought that is an open secret !!!!
The indicated battery power has no meaning whatsoever. If the battery is over 3 yrs old....beware.
I always carry two computers when diving aboard.

agree , my Uwatec ALadan died this weekend, and just last month dives battery said 68%.... agree over 3 years no matter what it says it will die. Unfortunately from what I know there is no one in Phiippines to change the battery. It must be sent to scubapro in Hong Kong and takes about 2-3 weeks

agree , my Uwatec ALadan died this weekend, and just last month dives battery said 68%.... agree over 3 years no matter what it says it will die. Unfortunately from what I know there is no one in Phiippines to change the battery. It must be sent to scubapro in Hong Kong and takes about 2-3 weeks

:confused: How did it die? Did it just go blank? Or did it "Err"? Never heard of a three y/o battery failure.

We have four aladins.

:confused: How did it die? Did it just go blank? Or did it "Err"? Never heard of a three y/o battery failure.

We have four aladins.
I have both my Aladin "died" in various modes, go blank, displayed Err, continuous alarm ringing etc., but luckily none proved to be fatal!! A change of battery managed to resurrect them to former glory. I must had spent a considerable sum over last 12 years to have them repaired.
But I have no intention to replace them.

dives last month battery said 68%, first dive yesterday ERR. and I agree that since my Aladin is already 12 years old this will be the 4th battery, so the 3 years life seems to be valid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom