Kinda of battery question about my Uwatec SmartCom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ushipb00

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My ScubaPro-Uwatec SMART (air/nitrox intergrated) Com battery says its about 67%. I've had it since 2007 (never replaced the battery) and i have about 30-35 dives planned for this trip to the philipinnes. Should I bring it in to get the battery replaced?

And if there is a problem are there any places in the Philipinnes where I could get it serviced?

Thanks,

I'd say you should look to replace the battery if you're not sure...

Getting a replacement battery from a Dive store here in the Philippines should be easy, however the dive stores tend to be a long, long way from the dive spots - with the exception of maybe PG.

Most dive spots have some in-resort type stores but finding one with battery replacement may be a challenge.

I'm sure replacing a battery won't cost too much so it would seem more sensible to be safe rather than sure.

Karl_H, apparently you haven't dealt with the Smart Series of computers. They're not like the others on the market. We sold them at our shop, and I had more than one customer who treated these like the other computers running double-A's or some other low-end battery.

First, the battery has several more YEARS of life in it at 67%. The computer is designed to get you through a long vacation even when it gets to "0%" life left.

Second, no shop can replace the battery. It must go back to the factory. This is why they have that hidden end of life in the battery display (they figure most people won't check the computer until just before the trip). But Scubapro won't even replace the battery until you're down around 25%. I know this from first hand experience. I had a customer who insisted that we have the battery changed out in a situation like this, and Scubapro refused to issue the RMA for service.

The reason they replace the battery at the factory is that some shops tried to replace it with lower quality batteries in store, resulting in more problems than they were willing to handle.

If you are the original owner with the "batteries for life" card, they not only will change out the battery when the time comes, but will do a complete diagnostic, change out several soft parts (like the screen protector), and all for free. If not, expect about $150 for a change.

Thank for the great answer. And yes I am the orginal owner with "batteries for life" card. I was just worried. I heard horror stories around the web saying that there computer battery life had just died on them around 50%. But from you insightfull response Pearldiver07 I can see the were probably exsagerating.

Thanks.

Actually the reason for the Smart Series battery to be replaced by a Uwatec Service Center is that the unit is oil filled and needs to be refilled in a vacuum chamber. At the same time the unit is being calibrated and thoroughly checked. The back-membrane is being changed too during the service.
There are several service centers located around the globe servicing their area of responsibility.
Just double checked with their tech. Battery replacement is necessary at 45% and below.

Here is the official word from SCUBAPRO:

Hi, thank you for inquiring about your Smart Com. At 67% you should be ok. The typical battery life on a Smart Com is 3-5 years leaning more towards the five years and often even longer depending on use. We do have a service center in Manila; the address is:

Joncor II Bldg unit 101
1362 A Mabini Street
Ermita, Manila

Philippines

Best regards

John Richardson

Tech Services

Man, I love Scubapro. I just emailed them about 6 hrs ago!!!! Awesome sauce!!

I think the address pertains to aquaventure whitetip dive supply. They just dropped the scubapro/uwatec line. I dont know if they still service scubapro/uwatec dc's.

I think the address pertains to aquaventure whitetip dive supply. They just dropped the scubapro/uwatec line. I dont know if they still service scubapro/uwatec dc's.

Spot-on about Whitetip - although I think the service section and parts are still available at Whitetip for the foreseeable future (for ScubaPro and Dive Rite anyway). Sadly Manila is a still few hours away from any dive spots.

Pearldiver07 - yep got me there, can say I have any experience with the Uwatec Consoles - I stick the the easy to see wrist computers with simple batteries :wink:

Out of interest what happens if the computer locks out? I guess the usual take out the battery approach won't work!

Thank for the great answer. And yes I am the orginal owner with "batteries for life" card. I was just worried. I heard horror stories around the web saying that there computer battery life had just died on them around 50%. But from you insightfull response Pearldiver07 I can see the were probably exsagerating.

Thanks.

Dude, I am one of those people that had that battery die around 50%, but it was 10 years old at that point. That was pure age fatigue. I wouldn't worry about your 'youngster' 3 year old battery. :)

PS - make sure you send in a copy of the battery for life card when you send in your computer for battery / service check!!!!! Otherwise, you get charged.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom