Killer Whales in the Gulf of Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The local news(Pensacola/Mobile area's ABC network - channel 3) is running a story on a pod of Killer Whales in the Gulf of Mexico tonight(10PM). Apparently some fishermen got some video of a bunch of them. I know we have whales in the Gulf commonly, but I'm not certain Killer Whales are all that common. The Gulf gets all kinds of guests though, we had a Humpback Whale earlier this year just off the beaches in Destin(about a mile out).

Let's hope they're the kind that only eat fish, so they'll leave us alone....

killerwhale.jpg

Now thats funny!

Let's hope they're the kind that only eat fish, so they'll leave us alone....

killerwhale.jpg

I always really enjoyed the videos of Killer Whales just toying with the seals, tossing them dozens of feet up in the air, punting them with their tails, ect. :D

I always really enjoyed the videos of Killer Whales just toying with the seals, tossing them dozens of feet up in the air, punting them with their tails, ect. :D

I've seen the onese were they attack/eat them and barely miss and knock them around.... but I also saw one video where they were bouncing him around almost like they were playing "seal soccer", if that's the video you're talking about.

The way I understand it, there are two distinct types of killer whales, and they do not associate across types. The first type eats bony fish only. These are the guys that you see at the aquarium parks that do tricks and swim with humans. The other type hunts/eats mammals. I've never heard of a killer whale eating a human, but they eat like 400-500 lbs of food a day, so there wouldn't be much left if they tried

Read "Mind In The Water". Mostly whale research from 50's to sometime in the 70's. The story of the logger hurting a member of a coastal pod in Canada is the only time I've ever come across a story of a Wild Orca hurting a human. I have come across stories of attacks on boats that were trying to capture a member of the group. I'm trying to relocate the story of a coastal whaling village that had ties to a pod of orcas that helped them in exchange for the tongue. Seems like it was someplace around New Zealand or Australia?

Theres lots of killer whales in the Gulf. They just dont want to be found.

Orca-killer-whale_l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom