Kihei Boat Ramp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just reading that the Kihei boat ramp is going to be closed for the next 90 days during the day (from 7-11am and 12-5pm). How the heck are the dive charters going to manage during this time? Sounds like a nightmare!

Pretty much the same way as when they had the similar limitation while doing some dredging and replacing the south pier. Everybody leaves before 7AM (which is 7:30AM or 8AM Island time) and everybody comes back between 11A-12Noon, which is sometimes 10:30-12:30 Island time.

It wasn't really as disruptive as it sounds.

Here is the Maui News article; the ramp is closed Mon - Thur for the hours listed above (except holidays). The article says it is scheduled to take up to 90 days, but does not say if that is 90 working days.:rofl3:

This dredging company may not have the same island time schedule as the last workers, so operators who try to sip in and out around the project may not always avoid complications. Some will probably choose to go out of Maalaea.

I was just reading that the Kihei boat ramp is going to be closed for the next 90 days during the day (from 7-11am and 12-5pm). How the heck are the dive charters going to manage during this time? Sounds like a nightmare!

Good to hear it won't be a huge disruption....I forgot about island time. :wink:

Divemaven. . . .you took the words right out of my mouth. . . . .I guess here on the mainland we forget about 'island time'?!! :D:) Maggi

I was exaggerating a bit on the "island time" comments :) , but the other companies that have had to shut down the boat ramp have tried their best not to impede traffic unless they really needed to.

Apparently the biggest problem in the past has been that both dive boats and several early morning fisherman all have to come back in the 1 hour midday slot, but in the past the construction companies have extended the midday opening of the dock open until everybody got hauled out. IIRC, DLNR was there initially to hustle everyone along.

Interestingly, they're going to use the sand for a "dune restoration project" on the point between Kam I and Kam II beaches.

The actual level of disruption will be interesting to see. Some charters have had to re-arrange their usual schedules so they can be out of there before 7... I suspect you'll see a lineup outside the ramp entrance starting at 10:45... that area might see some more snorkelers during that time, too... the coral looks to be in good shape, but apparently there aren't many fish. There's usually turtles, though.

Maui News:
The boat ramp dredging will clear accumulations of sand that can hamper boating, while providing material for restoration of a section of Kamaole Beach Park III, according to the Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation.

At Kamaole III, Maui County parks officials said a section along the north half of the beach will be fenced, beginning today, for public safety and to set up the area for restoration of the dune with the new sand and beach plantings.

Dune restoration on the point between Kam I and Kam II is not what I understood.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom