Kihei Boat Ramp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dune restoration on the point between Kam I and Kam II is not what I understood.:confused:
As a condo owner in Kamaole Sands, just across the street from Kam 3, I've been curious as to the impact on the park.

It's strange that the Maui News article says that area along the north half of the beach will be fenced off. Other articles and what I've been told by other condo owners was that initially the big open grassy area of Kam3 south of the parking lot will be roped off for construction vehicle access and activity, and then after a while the construction zone will be limited to just the dunes and a smaller portion of the south end of the park.

As I recall, the dunes themselves were in pretty good shape, with the real problem being that the vegetation was getting trampled by people going to the beach, so to me it sounds like the "dune restoration" project is more like "where the best place to dump the sand". If they do a good job of replanting, it should work out well.

Sorry... that was an honest-to-goodness typo. I guess that's what happens when I post before the morning caffeine fix. I meant between Kams 2 & 3. :)

It is hopefully a little more than "where's the best place to dump it". When the charter op's contracted sand removal last winter (?) more than one beach restoration group was interested in the sand, until the State reminded everyone of regulations requiring the sand stay in the origional local system. This State regulation pretty much means Kam III is the only place it can go as it is considered an important marine resource.

I wonder if moving sand would have been needed less often if the breakwall had been built the other way (urban myth transparency blueprint inverted during construction)?:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom