Keywest Dive and Accomodations Recommendations Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

High level hotel in that area would be Playa Largo or Baker’s Cay at the south end of Key Largo.

I just got back from Key Largo. Flew into Miami and rented a car through Budget. Miami airport is a complete cluster f**k. If it's not to late fly into Ft Lauderdale. If it is Miami read up on how to get to the rental center. Also get a baggage cart for $7 to carry all your gear. It will make getting to the rental center easier. I did fastbreak through Budget but that was a waste since no one was working the Budget counter and you had to stand in line with the Avis renters. Also make sure you have TSA precheck as the line was an hour plus wait

Since you’ll be vacationing in Florida, especially Key West, you should blend in and ride an overweighted, low performance motorcycle with nothing but a bandana on your head, a muscle shirt, shorts and flip flops.

For a really authentic experience, distances from bar to bar should not exceed 1 mile.

Formation riding at 5 mph below the speed limit along with unnecessary revving near open air restaurants practically makes you a local.

LOL, yea, that’s me ;-0. Maybe I’ll do a DocWong Motorcycle Riding Clinic while I’m at it…hmm how to ride slow while under the influence?

Actually, I would love to ride underwater with a DPV scooter all thru the Vandenberg! I almost bought a diveX Blacktip for the occasion!

So we had a wonderful time diving in the keys. Turned out we started in Miami and dove out of Miami which was pretty fun as there are some smaller wrecks. I managed to find a few experienced dive buddies so we dive to much of wrecks in Miami.

Then we went down to Key Largo and I ended up driving the Spiegel Grove multiple times showing my new buddies around the wrecks there.

Wife kept getting seasick after the first couple of shallow reef dives in Miami. While this freed me to do more advanced dives, still if anyone has suggestions on how to handle that I’d appreciate that.

We did make it down to Key West and visited there, but no diving there.

Now that I’m more familiar with that site, next time I’ll bring some buddies and we can plan on deco/scoter dives. Comes in handy with the currents and to be able to see more of the wrecks, especially the Vandenberg!

upload_2021-9-4_22-18-50.jpeg

Before moving here, we did that trip and stayed in Key Largo area. Lots to do, if you have time you can do a day trip into the everglades too. We were always staying at the various Marriots using points and they were ok but there are a lot of cool smaller mom and pop spots. If you want to dive to your room you can even stay underwater at the Jules Verne under sea hotel :wink: Jules' Undersea Lodge! Be sure to check out the dive museum Home - History Of Diving Museum

Some links from my wife Nathalie's blog that might give you some ideas

She has a lot of Florida stuff (both North and South of Miami) since we've moved here. Please do poke around (and join her monthly newsletter, or leave a comment. She's always thrilled to get new subscribers and it encourages her to keep writing. And I'm happy when she is happy :)

For Sea-Sickness, we found that some of the smaller boats were more affected by the waves, one shop with a pontoon would regularly cancel. Try and find a shop with larger boat. There is a whole thread on Dramamine or non-drowsy alternatives. My wife takes this esp when further off shore and unable to see the steady shoreline from the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom