• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Keywest Dive and Accomodations Recommendations Needed

Discussion in 'Florida' started by DocWong, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Jcp2

Jcp2 Literally virtually diving ScubaBoard Supporter

High level hotel in that area would be Playa Largo or Baker’s Cay at the south end of Key Largo.

2. smackboy1

smackboy1 Registered

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    If you've never been, 2 must see places to visit:

History of Diving Museum in Islamorada
    Key West Butterfly & Nature Conservatory

3. DocWong

DocWong Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Awesome, I'll check that out!

4. gqllc007

gqllc007 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I just got back from Key Largo. Flew into Miami and rented a car through Budget. Miami airport is a complete cluster f**k. If it's not to late fly into Ft Lauderdale. If it is Miami read up on how to get to the rental center. Also get a baggage cart for $7 to carry all your gear. It will make getting to the rental center easier. I did fastbreak through Budget but that was a waste since no one was working the Budget counter and you had to stand in line with the Avis renters. Also make sure you have TSA precheck as the line was an hour plus wait

Tripp likes this.
  5. DocWong

DocWong Contributor

Wow, ok will do!

gqllc007 likes this.
  6. NothingClever

NothingClever ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Since you’ll be vacationing in Florida, especially Key West, you should blend in and ride an overweighted, low performance motorcycle with nothing but a bandana on your head, a muscle shirt, shorts and flip flops.

For a really authentic experience, distances from bar to bar should not exceed 1 mile.

Formation riding at 5 mph below the speed limit along with unnecessary revving near open air restaurants practically makes you a local.

Nemrod likes this.
  7. DocWong

DocWong Contributor

LOL, yea, that’s me ;-0. Maybe I’ll do a DocWong Motorcycle Riding Clinic while I’m at it…hmm how to ride slow while under the influence?

Actually, I would love to ride underwater with a DPV scooter all thru the Vandenberg! I almost bought a diveX Blacktip for the occasion!

NothingClever likes this.
  8. DocWong

DocWong Contributor

So we had a wonderful time diving in the keys. Turned out we started in Miami and dove out of Miami which was pretty fun as there are some smaller wrecks. I managed to find a few experienced dive buddies so we dive to much of wrecks in Miami.

Then we went down to Key Largo and I ended up driving the Spiegel Grove multiple times showing my new buddies around the wrecks there.

Wife kept getting seasick after the first couple of shallow reef dives in Miami. While this freed me to do more advanced dives, still if anyone has suggestions on how to handle that I’d appreciate that.

We did make it down to Key West and visited there, but no diving there.

Now that I’m more familiar with that site, next time I’ll bring some buddies and we can plan on deco/scoter dives. Comes in handy with the currents and to be able to see more of the wrecks, especially the Vandenberg!

NothingClever likes this.
  9. DocWong

DocWong Contributor

upload_2021-9-4_22-18-50.jpeg