Keys vs Cozumel, December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kyjellyfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
I'm trying to plan a trip for mid-December of this year and deciding between the Keys and Cozumel. I haven't been to either place and wanted to get an idea of weather, dive conditions, operators, wildlife, etc.

Thanks so much!

In general, the Keys have about a dozen wrecks you'd be able to dive, Cozumel has a single wreck.
The Cozumel reef systems are generally deeper than those in the Keys.
Visibility is almost always gin-clear in Cozumel but not as often in the Keys.
I think getting blown out by weather is less likely in Cozumel but there are no guarantees in either location.
Big animal encounter probabilities would be equal IMO.
Operators galore in both locations.

You can probably get to Miami/Fort Lauderdale for less $$$ than Coz but you probably won't need a rental car in Coz.

The Keys can be day trip from where I live and but I'm spending a week in Coz in November.

I like 'em both (different, but both good).

The vis is going to be better in Coz in general, and especially in the winter. Water temps in Coz will be warmer (upper 70's) vs likely 5-10 or so degrees colder in the Keys.

In general the Keys kinda slows way down for the winter and Coz does not. The Keys is a bit cheaper to get to, but you will need a car. No car required in Coz. Ensure your passport is in order going to Coz.

Overall costs are similar for Diving, food, hotel everything except airfare.

If it were me I'd do Coz again over FL.

Coz wins. Better beer.

I did the Keys without a car and it wasn't a problem. Water's terribly warm, and though the wrecks were pretty nice the reefs weren't as good as Monterey.

Also not as good as Monterey :) Cold though.

Actually Italy was nice. Comfortable temperature (65F at depth), good invert life, some larger fish (mola mola, tiny barracuda, etc). Will probably try to go back there. Wrecks are way too deep for me (50-90m) but the reefs were lovely.

I got the Keys shuttle to and from where I stayed, which was walking distance to Horizon, Ocean Divers and most importantly, Sharkey's.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom