Keys question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning a trip to the upper keys in July. We have 2 Genesis scooters and can cover some serious ground with them. I have scooter snorkled for several hours and had a blast. This time I am in side mount with a snorkle to travel with.

Where can I park fairly close to the put in and go explore the keys in my own unique way?:cool2:

I called Pennekamp and they were not to excited about my idea. They want to sell snorkel trips.

The reefs are about 7 miles off shore so that might be a bit far to scooter out to and you would be in shallow water with a lot of boat traffic. A lot of the boats run two tank trips to the reef and the two sites are fairly close together. Typically they give you and hour at each spot. You MIGHT find an op that would let you splash at the start of dive one and then pick you up at the end of dive 2. But it would take special arrangements.

It is a ways from the reef but they do allow diving from shore at Canon Beach at Pennekamp. How far you go then would be your business. But I think the boat is the best idea.

But for any of the Keys 2 tank trips you can always do two 1 hour dives. Should check about scooters. I have not seen any on a number of keys trips. Enough to see without them I guess.

Just do it randy.

Steve we have scootered the wrecks in KL before and without knowing the operator WELL I don't think I would ever trust them to pick us up after 2 hours of scootering a reefline.

We want to "explore" more. Check out the mangroves and sealife around them or maybe scooter to a close island for lunch on the beach. I don't plan on making any long open water runs to the reefs and know to stay out of the boating lanes.

I've had my Banks Board hit by a boat and drug me backwards while diving the second reef off LBTS last season. Trust me, I know all to well about staying out of boating lanes and listening for boats.

Just do it randy.

Oh I plan on it Brotha. I have an idea about where to go......:wink: Google earth kicks major boota.:D

"Hens and Chickens" is the closest official "Reef" to shore that I am aware of down there.
Whale Harbor might be the closest launch point.
But I think this might be unsafe as it is a pretty good distance offshore.
Hen & Chickens Reef

There are however many great reefs that are far closer to shore in Broward County.
And I have "scootered" out to them a few times over the years.
And I have dragged back in more than once a scooter that went kaput for various reasons.

Chug
Occasional Torpedeo DPV user.

We want to "explore" more. Check out the mangroves and sealife around them or maybe scooter to a close island for lunch on the beach. I don't plan on making any long open water runs to the reefs and know to stay out of the boating lanes..:D

That should be easier then. As I mentioned there is a large parking lot at canon beach at Pennekamp. Diving is permitted from there. If we had not rented tanks from their shop they would not have even known we were diving there. There is a snorkeling buoy line but if you are underwater they are easy to "miss."

But your google earth search is probably the best way to go.

There are however many great reefs that are far closer to shore in Broward County.
And I have "scootered" out to them a few times over the years.
And I have dragged back in more than once a scooter that went kaput for various reasons.

Chug
Occasional Torpedeo DPV user.

Starting in cave country first.... then we're staying at the Windjammer on Datura for a few days....over to BHB mid week (twice)... I want to run down to KL to play in some different water, different type of diving.

After all this.......... it's onto Venice for teeth. :D I hope the tiger sharks are still around.

Basically anywhere in the Keys you will have to reach the reef by boat. I know Rainbow Reef dive center has several large boats and one six pack boat. If you are looking for some nice shore diving or snorkeling. We are the latest dive center added to PADI long list of dive centers. We are located in John U. Llyod state park in Dania Beach, Fl. just south of Ft. Lauderdale. We have a nice reef with some baby coral and ledges with lots of underwater creatures that we have grown to love as divers, We are The Whiskey Creek Hideout Dive Center.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom