Keys Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zboss

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

How often does diving get blown out in the keys? I'm heading to Key Largo (SeaDwellers) at the end of July...

Depends on the site you're planning on diving. Some of the deeper wrecks are more prone to dangerous conditions (high seas, heavy currents, etc.) than the shallower reefs that lie more inshore.

In general, there aren't that many days that are undiveable, but you do encounter some stiff seas now and again - 4-6'. Just check the weather bouys from your hotel or call the operator before going out. Some sort of seasickness remedy might be advisable for seas higher than a foot or two.

I've dived most of the upper keys sites, have fed many fish, been washed off wrecks by current many times, and still keep going back for more. The water is warm, the visibility is often extremely good, and the sites are interesting. Other shops/operators that might give you good advice as to whether to go out are Silent World and Island Ventures. You can also call the dive shop at Pennekamp and ask for Nicole, the manager. She always gives me good advice as to the conditions, and I frequently call her while starting the drive from north of Miami to Key Largo.

Hope this helps. Best wishes and safe ascents,
Grier

BTW, if you have any extra time, you might want to join us for some spectacular shore diving. A group of us go out almost every weekend from some beach from Hollywood to Pompano. The diving is easy and cheap, and the reefs are fantastic. Consider yourself invited.

-G

GrierHPharmD:
BTW, if you have any extra time, you might want to join us for some spectacular shore diving. A group of us go out almost every weekend from some beach from Hollywood to Pompano. The diving is easy and cheap, and the reefs are fantastic. Consider yourself invited.

-G

Thanks for the invite! I live in VA though but if I find myself down there after this trip I will definately PM you!

KeyLargoBrent:
is to dive for! You've selected what is arguably the best month of the year for Keys diving. Your odds of being blown out are minimal, and the water is WARM. Enjoy!

I haven't been diving since may when I went wreck diving in NC...

This will be my first time in the keys - although I spend a lot of time in the caribbean - and I realize now that I should have done some more research on the different values that are available.

I see you are based there at the Holiday Inn... I'll be diving with Sea Dwellers. To be honest I was kind of discouraged that they don't offer nitrox and I got the impression that there will be alot of newly certified divers on the boat.

zboss:
I got the impression that there will be alot of newly certified divers on the boat.

Dive in the mornings with Sea Dwellers. Their students are usually on the afternoon dive following the morning pool sessions. It's a good group there. Both my kids took OW and AOW with Sea Dwellers.

vbscoutmom:
Dive in the mornings with Sea Dwellers. Their students are usually on the afternoon dive following the morning pool sessions. It's a good group there. Both my kids took OW and AOW with Sea Dwellers.

that's what I was afraid of... I didn't make my reservations in time and got stuck with being on the afternoon dive the first day...

Also - I noticed that Sea Dwellers only offers 2 dives per trip while some other places offer 3 dives per trip. Frankly, if it were up to me I would be doing both the morning and afternoon dives but somehow my solo dive trip got turned into a vacation trip for me and my non-diving girlfriend. I don't know how that happened.

Hi, ZBoss-
Don't know how committed you are to Sea Dwellers- if you'll search on this board for Blue Water Divers you'll find nothing but good reviews. Glenn and Brent (you chatted with Brent earlier in the thread) are great guys and have a great operation, really know how to do it right.

On one of our Blue Water dives I noticed a guy with Nitrox, so that may be another reason to give them a call. And depending on weather / sea conditions, non-diver girlfriend could come along for the ride.

Dave O

hey Zboss, don't worry about Seadwellers- even if they have a lot of newbies on the boat, you can always get away from them and get a good dive in. Let the crew know your experience level and what you plan to do for the dive and they will be accomodating. Their boat is big and their diving stlye is casual. I think too many people do this whole cattle boat critique of the larger boats when really you can get a good trip in and have a very mellow time.
I dive Key largo fairly often and always have a good time with the folks at seadwellers- dives are always relaxing.
BTW- they sometimes do the three dive deal if they hit the speigal grove- always good to check. And another factor in favor of the bigger boats is that you are much more unlikely to get cancelled if the weather does roll in- as often happens in South Florida in summer Afternoons. I have been with Seadwellers in big bad swells which the smaller boats could not go out in- over all- don't fret about the operator- you will have an excellent dive once you are in the water.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom