keys diving deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
this incident happened thursday

Monroe County Sheriff's Office - Florida Keys: Detectives, ME investigate death

another incident today while we were diving @ molasses reef. overheard that a diver aboard a local charter diving the outer reef was given CPR to shore and was pronounced dead shortly thereafter. it was sporty(3-4ft seas, mdt current and numerous man of war on the surface) out there today and iv'e heard details on the boat but will wait to confirm and provide a link @ that time,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

this incident happened thursday

Monroe County Sheriff's Office - Florida Keys: Detectives, ME investigate death

another incident today while we were diving @ molasses reef. overheard that a diver aboard a local charter diving the outer reef was given CPR to shore and was pronounced dead shortly thereafter. it was sporty(3-4ft seas, mdt current and numerous man of war on the surface) out there today and iv'e heard details on the boat but will wait to confirm and provide a link @ that time,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

I heard it over ch16 and know the dive op well.
Prayers to the family

It was sad to hear the incident unfolding on the VHF radio. Details will eventually come out. Condolences to the family.

Spiegle was 5ft /w strong current, then the Benwood was 3-4 ft, a bit less current. Saw significant #s of man-o-war in some areas. Boat crew kept a look out for the MOWs so we could avoid them when surfacing.

conditions far from ideal(seas 3-4ft), below we had 30-40FT viz on deep molasses with 68F@ 90FT and mdt current. the thermocline similar on deep conch with water temp 73F on surface and 67F @85FT , viz 30-40FT. man of war everywhere!

reefman
key largo

Last edited:
Yes but they usually are much more prevalent further south, such as off Key West, and not as many inshore along Key Largo or around the corner in the Miami to Jupiter area. We have seen them in both areas this winter in numbers greater than normal. Just an anomaly I am sure.

Yes but they usually are much more prevalent further south, such as off Key West, and not as many inshore along Key Largo or around the corner in the Miami to Jupiter area. We have seen them in both areas this winter in numbers greater than normal. Just an anomaly I am sure.

Might not be so anomalous. Rising ocean acidity (from CO2) is good for jellyfish, so blooms could become more common.

Perhaps. No further comment on this subject.

Back
Top Bottom