keys diving deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deleted

Are we looking at two deaths-one at Looe Key per the link to the sheriff report and one near Key Largo (Molassas)?

Yes..

Wow, it seems like a lot of diver deaths in the last couple weeks. I feel for all the friends and families left behind. I wonder what the causes of death will come out as.

New Jersey man dies after diving

Key Largo – A 64 year old New Jersey man died after diving offshore of Key Largo Sunday.

According to Donald Jarvis, the Captain of the commercial dive boat HMS Minnow, #### had just finished his second dive of the morning at about 11 a.m. ### was reportedly swimming back to the boat on his back when Jarvis saw he was about to run into a Portuguese Man o' War. He yelled at ###, but ### ran into the Man o’War and then appeared to go limp in the water. He was pulled on board the boat and, because he was not breathing, CPR was performed.

He was brought in to shore and met by deputies and paramedics. He was transported to Mariner’s Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

An autopsy will be done to determine the cause of his death.

From Monroe County Sheriffs website

Last edited:
Is there a separate thread for the woman's death in Looe Key? It looks like a homicide detective is investigating her death...

I would not read anything into that. In smaller departments homicide detectives will often be in charge of any non natural causes deaths. In a few cities they are the ones who investigate suicides, auto fatalities, etc.

I think Jim is right there. The homicide detective is simply the most qualified on the local force to investigate even if there is no suspicion of foul play.

So the Looe Key accident involved two divers alone a private boat? It does not sound like the lack of a separate pilot was part of the problem from what I have read, and it sounds like a medical issue maybe...?

I dived from the Minnow once on my first trip to the Keys and was impressed enough that I used that Op for newbies when I organized a two part group later - the rest of us on other boats for deeper wrecks. I don't remember his name so don't know if it's still the same skipper?

So the Key Largo death sounds like it was caused by the MOW? Aka, bluebonnet, is not a true jellyfish but a siphonophore, which differ from jellyfish in that they are not actually a single creature, but a colonial organism made up of many minute individuals called zooids. Wiki further reports them responsible for 10,000 human stings in Australia each summer, severely stinging, allergic reactions possible, deaths rare but possible - and with a lot of pain plus a feeling of entrapment, perhaps panic and downing are risks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom