Keys Dive Op Review - Conch Republic Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LJinFLA

Contributor
Reaction score
Went diving in the keys a few weeks ago and went with a dive op I had not used before but had heard good things about on this board. Thought I would share a bit of a review.

The weekend was the weekend that TS Alberto went through so conditions were less than ideal and not typical of the Keys. The morning dives were on a couple of reefs with very heavy surge, and the afternoon dives on the Spiegel Grove were in pouring rain with 5 to 6 foot seas. I set this up as background to my one, but major, complaint with this Dive Op.

Overall the Operation was nice. Good location, easy load and unload, nice shop, good fills on my tanks, nice boats (a 22 passenger custom dive boat for the morning dives, and a 12 pack custom dive boat for the Grove), nice wash and dip facilities for after the dive, good assistance on the boat entering and exiting the water. Nice briefing of the sites before the dive. Overall a good Operation.

My one complaint is in my mind serious enough that I would hesitate to recommend them. They did not do a role call before we left port, They did not do a role call when we exited the water. To me there is little excuse these days to not do this. Even if the operator's insurance provider doesn't require this, it should be done for everyone's safety and piece of mind. However in these conditions it is even more important.

After returning from the second dive of the morning, I and my buddy were the last back on board. The captain was yelling to get us out of the water fast because there was a big nasty looking thunderstorm bearing down on the boat and he wanted to the get the hell out of Dodge. He got us on board and hit the throtles to race the storm in to shore. It is when there is stress like this that it is most important to keep your head and do a role call to make sure you have everyone. Since we were last on board I asked some of the other divers whether they had done one before we got on board but they had not.

Then in the afternoon Spiegel Grove dives, surface conditions were BAD and there was a current with pouring rain with no lightning, and 5 to 6 foot waves. The divers in the group were given the choice to go or not. Everyone went. In these conditions, I again think it is very important to do a role call to make sure someone is not swept away. None were done.

Outwardly this Op seems very professional, but no Role call to me drops them down considerably in the safety and professionalism category and makes me question what else is wrong with the operation that I didn't see. What other corners were cut?

Just my thoughts,

LJ

I'll be diving with them in 2 weeks time. We'll see.

How many people were on the boat when they didn't do a roll call? Every time I've gone on their boats, they always check to make sure that everyone is there.

If it was only 6 people... while a roll call is nice to make you feel good. I'm sure that they took into account that everyone was back before leaving the site.

howarde:
How many people were on the boat when they didn't do a roll call? Every time I've gone on their boats, they always check to make sure that everyone is there.

If it was only 6 people... while a roll call is nice to make you feel good. I'm sure that they took into account that everyone was back before leaving the site.

On the morning reef dives there were probably 16 to 18. On the afternoon Grove dives there were 12 on a smaller boat than the morning. Admittedly, the afternoon dives were all with a single dive group that all knew each other so there was probably less risk.

But the role call is not for the peace of mind of the divers. It should be for the liability protection of the operation, the protection of their reputation and business, in addition to ensuring the the operator is providing the service to the divers of taking all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the customers.

LJ

My complaint would have been the backwards dive day. They should do the Grove in the morning because it's a 90'-120' dive (and the seas are usually calmer in the morning), then do the shallow reef dives in the afternoon when everyone is nitrogen loaded.

ReefHound:
My complaint would have been the backwards dive day. They should do the Grove in the morning because it's a 90'-120' dive (and the seas are usually calmer in the morning), then do the shallow reef dives in the afternoon when everyone is nitrogen loaded.

It was my and my buddy's choice to do the reefs in the morning. The group I was down there with didn't dive in the morning. They had the Grove scheduled in the afternoon and I joined them for that.

I was aware of the concern that you bring up and was very thorough in my dive planning to make sure my loading was OK. I was diving EAN38 in the morning at only 30 feet, and EAN32 on the Grove. Nitrogen and O2 loading was well within limits.

LJ

I can understand your concerns. Gary (who along with his wife Brenda own Conch Republic) has had a pretty large change over in his team in the last few months.

I would call Gary and bring this to his attention. I am sure he would like make sure this does not happen again. Was he the captain on either of your dive trips?

They used to use the DAN tag system but have not seen it in use for awhile.

I was out with them last weekend and we did have roll call on one day and a diver head count on the 2nd.

I went out with them the 1st week of the month, and even though they didn't do a role call, they did do a head count. And we went out with them for 2 days. Maybe you missed that since you were the last one on the boat, and they had counted everyone but you and your buddy. So when you boarded, they were ready to go.

I did enjoy diving with them. Everything you said about their facility was right on the money. But I know they have seveal captains, so maybe you had a different one than the 2 I had. Gary was our captain the 1st day, I don't remember the name of the captain the 2nd day.

I would not hesitate to dive with them again.

LJinFLA:
On the morning reef dives there were probably 16 to 18. On the afternoon Grove dives there were 12 on a smaller boat than the morning. Admittedly, the afternoon dives were all with a single dive group that all knew each other so there was probably less risk.

But the role call is not for the peace of mind of the divers. It should be for the liability protection of the operation, the protection of their reputation and business, in addition to ensuring the the operator is providing the service to the divers of taking all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the customers.

LJ
Then I would most certainly call them, and/or send a PM to Captain Gary (Capt Gary - here on SB) and make sure he is aware of your concerns. From what I know about them, I am sure that he (they) would address your concerns, and probably make sure that his crews are compliant in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom