Keys Dive Op Review - Conch Republic Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LJinFLA:
Outwardly this Op seems very professional, but no Role call to me drops them down considerably in the safety and professionalism category and makes me question what else is wrong with the operation that I didn't see. What other corners were cut?

LJ

LJinFla....First I'd like to thank you for bringing this up. I will address this issue with the Captain, who was a filling in for me while I was busy with our Upper Keys Island Sun Splash the entire week of June 12th. It looks like you are referring to June 13th afternoon dive that had 13 people on board. The captain or mate should have done a role call before they left the dock. I'll ensure that captain, and any other fill in captain working for me know this responsibility before they captain any of my boats.

In our procedures, which I provide to all captains who work for me, a role call should be done before you leave the dock. This ensures you have the correct amount and right persons on board. There should not be any excuse for not doing a role call, unless the captain knows each indiviual on the boat. I've been in this situation, but still do a role call.

Once on site the captain and mate should done one of two things. Each do an indiviual head count to agree on the number on board which should match the manifest number. And/Or do a role call, but still do a number check. I've had times when doing a role call someone will answer for someone else they believe to be on board, so a head count is sometimes more persise than a role call.

Again thanks for letting me know how my captains and crew are doing or not doing. It's the only way I learn how my crew is doing and what I need to do to improve our service. If you can provide any other suggestions on how we can improve our service please don't hesitate to contact me personally at the number or email below.

Good Diving,

Capt Gary:
LJinFla....First I'd like to thank you for bringing this up. I will address this issue with the Captain, who was a filling in for me while I was busy with our Upper Keys Island Sun Splash the entire week of June 12th. It looks like you are referring to June 13th afternoon dive that had 13 people on board. The captain or mate should have done a role call before they left the dock. I'll ensure that captain, and any other fill in captain working for me know this responsibility before they captain any of my boats.

In our procedures, which I provide to all captains who work for me, a role call should be done before you leave the dock. This ensures you have the correct amount and right persons on board. There should not be any excuse for not doing a role call, unless the captain knows each indiviual on the boat. I've been in this situation, but still do a role call.

Once on site the captain and mate should done one of two things. Each do an indiviual head count to agree on the number on board which should match the manifest number. And/Or do a role call, but still do a number check. I've had times when doing a role call someone will answer for someone else they believe to be on board, so a head count is sometimes more persise than a role call.

Again thanks for letting me know how my captains and crew are doing or not doing. It's the only way I learn how my crew is doing and what I need to do to improve our service. If you can provide any other suggestions on how we can improve our service please don't hesitate to contact me personally at the number or email below.

Good Diving,

Wow, Capt. Gary.

I am glad to see you hang around this place too. It is good that professionals and divers alike frequent places like this. It is to the benefit of all that we come together at places like this and I am glad to hear that you took mhy comments with a positive and professional appraoch. Thanks. Your operation has alsways gotten good marks on SB and I looked forward to diving with you for the first time on this trip. The role call was reallly the only concern I had. As I stated in the original post, the rest of the operation was top notch. I was with a group I knew so I was not concerned at the time. but my buddy had never dove with them and he was concerned about the absence of role calls. As I thought about later I was too.

The date was Saturday, June 10. I and my buddy dove the morning reef dive and then in the afternoon joined the group from C&N Divers for the Grove dive. Different captains and different boats flor each trip. We were rained out for the four dives on the Bibb and Duane on Sunday, so we drove up to West Palm and got out on a boat that I dive with frequently.

Thanks for listening and taking the comments to heart. I will give you guys another try on the next trip down there in July.

LJ

LJinFLA:
Thanks for listening and taking the comments to heart. I will give you guys another try on the next trip down there in July. LJ

LJ,

Thanks for taking the time to express your concerns. The only way we can improve our operation is to gather comments from our guest. We try to make our operation one that is safe and fun with the emphesis on safety. Thanks for giving us another chance to prove this to you.

Good Diving,

for what it's worth (not much :))
the only op i've used in the keys was tilden's in duck key and they didn't do a roll call on any of our dives.
this was last summer so they may be doing them now
otherwise a great op

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom