Key west scuba for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It isn't where I'd take my 10 year old (Key West is more geared towards "adult" themed entertainment), . . .

I'll always fondly remember my first trip to Key West with my dad when I was a teen. We visited the Hemingway house. At the Mel Fisher museum I ran into the man himself, though I had no idea who he was until then. We went out on a snorkeling boat, as I wasn't yet a diver. We went on a fishing charter and caught quite the haul of large mahi mahi (er, "dolphin" in Florida-speak), one of which my dad had a place cook for us that evening. We were at Mallory Square for the ritual sunset observance and street performers. Sure, the bars and Duval St. scene can overshadow that if you let it, but I think there's plenty for a youngster and parent to enjoy together.

We do private charters for from Big Pine Key (Lower Keys) about 35 miles east of Key West. We dive the Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary (depth 15 - 30'), and a variety of other sites that are excellent for young people and new divers. There is much greater choice of places to stay, eat, and shop farther east (Marathon, Key Largo especially) and many, many great dive operators there as well. Big Pine Key is quiet (relative to Keys life in general), and we offer private charters that work excellently for buddies or couples (three divers at most). Our prices are not much more than the headboats charge, but we offer a more personal experience and greater flexibility in dive planning and scheduling. One note: the Keys are often too windy and too rough to dive comfortably at that time of year so if you're coming exclusively to dive, you may want to consider an alternative. Best of luck, and safe diving!

Thanks again for the input. We need to balance finding a really nice place to stay with the diving as my wife and other daughter don't dive. Also, a smaller, more personalised boat/service is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't feel at all comfortable taking my daughter on a big charter boat with 50 experienced drivers and instructors who aren't 100% focused on her safety at all times.

You can be confident that the established dive operators in the Keys are always focused on their divers' safety; but a personal charter will provide you greater time and assistance in preparing and getting comfortable with your gear, selecting the best dive sites considering your experience level and interests and, overall, assuring your dive experience is the best it can be and without the scheduling constraints and congestion that are unavoidable on headboats.

Key Largo and Tavernier...that's your best bet for beautiful diving for a newbie. I live in a motorhome, meaning I could live ANYWHERE, but I live in Key Largo because that's where the best Keys diving is.

Easter lodging prices are through the roof. I suggest you book NOW. If you wait, rates will continue to escalate. A couple of really reasonably priced places are the Key Largo Key West Inn (yes it is in Key Largo, MM100) and the Bayside Inn (MM99.5). You may find some cheaper places, but they will be really ratty. Key West Inn has upstairs/downstairs units with queen bed and marina view balcony upstairs, and sofa bed/sitting area and full kitchen downstairs. Bayside Inn has more typical motel rooms, but it's on the bay with a "beach"* and docks and a pool, great for sunsets, and walk-able to several restaurants.

Try this website for best lodging prices guaranteed. I myself just used it to book two days in Key West in July.
Things to do in the Florida Keys
DISCLAIMER: I work for this business. However, I don't receive a commission.

*We don't have beaches in the Keys. We have "beaches", meaning they came down the highway in a truck! But it would be a great place for your wife to hang out while you're diving, and there are places to shop nearby.

Thanks again for the input. We need to balance finding a really nice place to stay with the diving as my wife and other daughter don't dive. Also, a smaller, more personalised boat/service is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't feel at all comfortable taking my daughter on a big charter boat with 50 experienced drivers and instructors who aren't 100% focused on her safety at all times.

We stayed in KW last February. It's where I finished my open-water certification. Later we stayed at Marathon and I dove from Key Largo and Tavernier. Weather can be cool around Easter. There are many good operators in the area depending on what you want. If you're staying in KW you might want to consider Captain's Corner as they are on Mallory Square and within walking distance of most hotels. We found the logistics of getting our car out of the garage and over to the marina a few miles away to be a real hassle although the dive op was great.

All kinds of ops up and down the keys and I understand what you're dealing with in trying to craft a balanced trip. We stayed at Tranquility Bay Beach House in Marathon which had nice pools and beach, but like all the lodging in the Keys seemed expensive for what it was. Little in the way of attractions in Marathon compared to KW although it depends on your family's interests -- there's airplane rides, snorkeling, the "turtle hospital," and some other attractions but not the historical fabric, or party atmosphere, of KW.

Key Largo diving is the best diving location, looking for a party, Key West is the best party location looking for a dive. If you wind up going to Key West, Dive Key West is a good and they dive the Vandenburg. It is run by Bob Holston and his wife. Good people.

Did the PADI with my 10 year old daughter in April. Looking at going to key west next Easter. How's the diving there given we're limited to 10m? Good coral and marine life at that depth? Good visibility? Diver operator recs?

Any view gratefully received!
There are several boats that go out of Key West. The first reef east of KW is very shallow and drops of to the east into deep water. It's a safe dive for a 10 year old depths can be maintained around 20 feet .
The vandenverg is to deep for a 10 year old.
I would highly advise taking a qualified instructor with you
The reef is big rocks with baricuda and various fish it's easy to navigate.
Believe it or not it's possible to enter the water on the east end of duval street and head out to the pier just north. There is quite a bit of marine life to see. The depths are under 25 and it costs nothing. U can even do it on snorkel. Navigation skills need to be dailed in as u are basicl following the shoreline. Depth , contour visual landmarks.
Does not cost anything.
Just be aware of your surroundings in the underwater world.
Hope u have great dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom