Key West in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Some friends and I are putting together a trip to Key West in September, right after Labor Day. I am seeking any advice and pointers about what to do there, which operators you have had good expereince with, any resturants or hotels to use or avoid. I am specifically planning on diving the Vanderburg so anyother good dive sites, as well as any above water sites, will be appreciated.

DiveLvr

When my wife and I went down there (6 years ago) I dove with Subtropic and had a good time with them. Stayed at the Doubletree Grand Key, and liked the hotel as well. They carted us around the island, and even sent out a shuttle to pick just me up from the dive center. Didnt need a car staying with them. Make sure you stop at Sloppy Joes while you are down there.

I just looked up Subtropic and it looks like they sold the place, and now its named Seaduction. I have no idea how the current operation is.

I lived, dove and instructed in KW for 13 years before my nursing carreer took me away, here are my thoughts.

Planning a trip trip to KW at that time of year is a double edged sword.

September is the hight of hurricane season. The keys have not had any big storms for about 3 years, but it is a risk at that time of year. The bright side to this, is this is the slowest time for tourism and you should have no problem snagging some GREAT deals. A down side, dive opporators will not run trips if they do not have enough paying customers, but most opporators will put you with 1 of the other shops on a day they can't put a trip together.

In my opinion the benifits of going to KW this time of year out weigh the negatives and I say go for it. Here are some recomendations I gave to some freinds of mine planning a trip this summer:

Bob’s KW

Diving:
Vis: Can range from 15’ to 100+’ depending on weather and proximity of Gulf Stream; 30’ to 60’ is norm. July is usually a good time of year, but no garantees.
Temp: Upper 75 to 80.
Depth: Reefs-15’ to 40’, wrecks 65 to 140.
Current: None to ripping, depending on Gulf Stream. (The boats will usually change sites to avoid dangerous conditions.)
Reefs: The Fl. Keys is home to the 3rd longest barrier reef system. It extends from Miami in the NW and runs parallel to the Keys to the Dry Tortugas in the SW. Unfortunately the reefs are about 80% dead, but are absolutely loaded with fish. Off of KW the reef is on the South side of the Island running E to W. The Formations are “fingers” running N to S with sand channels in between. Some formations are circumnavigable others divers will go “up and down” like the isles in the supermarket.
KW Dive Site Reefs: All are protected and have mooring balls.
Sand Key Light House: (Allegedly designed by Andrew Jackson, but I don’t know) Ask for the Grand Canyon.
Eastern Dry Rocks: During the Spring I have seen huge schools of big tarpon.
Rock Key: (Yo Adrian) 1 of my favs, tight channels feels like swim throughs but no overhead obstruction.
9 foot Stake: Another fav, I almost always would find a nurse shark.
Western Sambo:
Western end (balls 15,16) “The Haystacks” I really like this spot because it is not typical for the Keys, there are Star corrals with good profile.
Eastern End, “The Cut” shallow 10 to 15 foot, formations of staghorn, BIG lobsters, (sorry it is a no take zone and you will be 2 weeks early for season).
Deeper reefs include “The Humps” and “Lost Reef” I like both of these when conditions are good.
Wrecks:
Vandenberg: World class dive!!! Advanced dive. Sunk May “09. Max depth 140, but there is absolutely no reason to go to the sand. Main deck at 90 ft structure as shallow as 45ft. This wreck has many “safe” swim thrus but there is sooooo much to see on the outside for numerous dives.
Cayman Salvor: max depth 100ft (if you lay in the sand by the bow) Deck 65 to 75. No penetration on this wreck. Often see Big Goliath Grouper 400+ pounds.
Joe’s Tug: Depth 65 to 70 feet. 1 of my absolute favorite dives in KW and it is very under rated. The Tug is very broken up these days after Hurricane Georges in 1999 and the many hurricanes in 04 and 05. This “wreck” sits on the outer reef that is very much alive. Look for the Big Green Morray that chased me to the surface when I was spear fishing and check out the Yellow Headed Jaw Fish in the sand patches.

Dive Shops:
Lost Reef Adventures: 305-296-9737, Owner/Manager: Nick Kolosar: Located at the end of Margeret st. at Lands End Marina across from the Half Shell Raw Bar. My favorite, but a no frills older dive shop, competitive pricing, Boat “Dream” is docked on site. Dive platform at water level. Approved for 16 divers generally carries less. As with most of the local boats they will also take snorkelers, but the divers are the priority.
Captains Corner: 305-296-8918, Owner Leslie, Corner Green and Elizabeth by the Conch Republic Seafood Company. Tends to have the cheapest pricing and still runs a very reputable boat (Sea Eagle) which is on site. This boat requires a giant giant stride, it is about 5feet from the deck to the water, and of course the ladder is just as tall getting out.
Dive Key West: Owners Bob and Cece, North Roosevelt Ave,. Probably the cleanest, most modern shop on the Island, also tends to be the most expensive, caters to divers that need a little more pampering. They are the only shop that puts a DM in the water. There boat is on Stock Island at Oceanside Marina.
Top Side
Restaurants:
Sea Food: Half Shell Raw Bar(say hi to Hannia, Joe, Greg and Michelle for me , Rusty Anchor (Stock Island, say hey to Terri), 7 Fish (make reservations, ask for Tina and tell her Potty Mouth says Hi).
Lunch: B.O.s Fish Wagon, Lobos, Hog Fish (Stock Island, Say hi to Bobby).
Pizza; Big Johns 305-293-9576
Cuban: El Sibone
Mexican: Chico’s Cantina (Stock Island)
Breakfast: Turtle Kraals (I used to manage this one, Hi to Carol and Shirly)
Bars: Sloppy Joe’s (Hi to Louisa), Green Parrot (say hi to Annie, Dani and Heidi).
For the Open minded:
Drag Shows; 801 and La Te Da.
Best:
View: Top of La Concha Hotel on Duval, (free, go on up to the roof)
Margarita: Pepes on Caroline St.
Beach: Ft Zach State Park (KW is not known for its beaches they are more natural less sandy).
Tourist Stuff:
Conch Tour Train/ Old Town Trolly.
Sunset at Mallory.
Sun Set cruz on any of the sail boats.

Nice. We're going in the end of June, so I'll just be bookmarking this page. Thanks for the informative write up.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom