Key Largo Wrecks 1/13 - 1/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, all diving Saturday called called due to weather conditions. Sunday AM got pushed back to a Sunday PM. Having not gotten in the water since before x-mas, dang it, I was going to dive. Even if it meant putting on the drysuit and jumping into the lagoon!

We loaded up the boat around ~1 and were treated to spectacular conditions. Seas were 12-18", the occasional two footer rogue wave came along... The sun was shining and a slight breeze.

Dropped in on the Bibb first, and greeted w/ nil current. Water was a chilly 73 degress, though warmer than being topside...! This was my frist time on the wreck, despite having done the Duane a few times, its still totall different mentally since its on its side. It'll take me a few more visits to get oriented. Ran into a rather large nurse shark down in the sand..., I'd say 10-12'. I thought there was another massive fish resting right near it as well - however upon furthur inspection, it was just another piece of rusted mangled metal. Dang Nitrogen Narcosis got me again. (Yes Scott, I still have your mix....)

Came up for nice 47 min SI and got warmed up by the sun and shuffled over to the next wreck...

Next we dropped in on the Duane.... yipee... Though a tad deeper than the Grove, still big enough to have a good complete dive safely penetrating the wreck staying within reasonable NDL's. We dropped in on the stacks amidship and let the slight current carry us to the stern, popping in through hatches along the way...

We were fortunate to catch a glimpse of a few turtles while on the wreck. One was just happy as a clam sitting on one of the upper decks just outside the wheelhouse. Nothing spooked him... The other I caught a glimpse of swimming up the stacks, then up the line... almost like he was a diver ascending up to the boat...

I had brought along a copy of the deckplans, and was hoping to refind the stairs that took you up to the inside of the wheelhouse, but ended up finding a different set. I think we were on the wrong deck. Just past the hallway leading to the barber shop, up the ladder into the CO's cabin. Where there was a massive circular table and then out a cutout in the back wall.

I tried to go dry, w/o my normal thinsulate stuff... I went w/ just some UA coldgear... unfortunately my suit has a few leaks in the legs and my wrists always let water in. But I was ok in the water and topside I put on a parka to cut the wind. I may try a double layer next time, or a slight fleece. I'll hafta add weight to my rig for anything thicker, which I'd like to avoid.

Brent and Glenn were great hosts, nice, fast no-hassle diving.... Though Glenn got a little crampy when out SI extended past 45mins... and kinda kicked us off the boat.. :)

Awesome time..., I'll be back...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom