Key Largo,Where to go after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJTY

Contributor
Reaction score
We are going to Key Largo Labor day weekend, staying at Amy Slate's. I know Key Largo is not known for its night life, but were could we go in the evenings for a few drinks, a good dinner, and maybe some music?

If you're going as far as Key West: Great food (if you're careful about what you eat) at The Cafe. Willie T's (around the corner) is the place if you're less concerned about healthy eating and want great food and good drinks.

But Key West is a three hour drive from Key Largo (six hours round trip to party is unreasonable!) and RJTY was asking about Key Largo. I had a house down there until February 2005 and had lots of cool places to visit but now I am unsure what is, and what is not, still in business so I hope someone else can fill RJTY in. I drove down there Thanksgiving 2005 and was shocked to see so many changes...

RJTY:
We are going to Key Largo Labor day weekend, staying at Amy Slate's. I know Key Largo is not known for its night life, but were could we go in the evenings for a few drinks, a good dinner, and maybe some music?

Ft. Lauderdale.

I was in the Keys in June, and some of the food was great. We stayed in Tavernier, so most of the places we went to were about 10 to 20 miles from Key Largo. But if you get down there (and you should) try the following.

Islamorada Fish Company, (MM 81.5), 664-9271

I can't remember the name of the place, but it should be about MM 83. It's on the left just south of the bridge on the atlantic side. It has mostly ouside dining with live music. It isn't the buffett which is about a mile or 2 further down. The food was outstanding.

If you get down to Marathon, try the Marathon Fish Market. They are world famous for their lobster rueben. It isn't fine dining, but it is a sandwhich that is worth the drive. And I don't really like ruebens very much. This is kind of hard to find, but it's on the bay side.

I know these aren't in Key Largo, but it's the little experience I have.

evad:
Ft. Lauderdale.
Are you serious??? I would not even drive from Miami beach to Ft. Lauderdale to go out for drinks. Key Largo to Ft. Lauderdale would be hell.

Try the following places, Coconuts in Key largo, Lorelei in Islamorada, Smugglers Cove in Islamorada and if you are into the real party scene go to Holiday isle in Islamorada also.
The conditions for diving have been great lately! The last few days we have viz in the 75f to 100ft range with multiple eagle rays, nurse sharks and flat seas. Hopefully you have the same conditions.

Here are a few place to go in Key Largo. For pizza and a good selection of beer and few wines there is a place on the east side of the HW called Upper Grass Key Pizza, I don't remember the mile marker but is really good! I would make another trip there just to see the owner's wife!!! WOW!!!! Oh, and for the pizza too. There is also a Japanese place that is west of the CVS on the west side of HW, the service wasn't that great but the prices on drinks and food were good. For a good local place to go, go to Sharkies, it is tied in with Horizon Divers' dock area and the food and drinks great. I would ask the boat captin about where to go when you get there, that is what I did. There is another place but I don't remember the name of it, when I do I will post it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom