Key Largo water temps in January.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just booked a group of 3 of us to head to Key Largo in January (18-23) for a chance to build up hours on our new Revo's. We are going to dive dry since that's what we do up here all the time. That being said, we are planning for undergarments and also trying to decide whether we should wear hoods or not? What are the water temps like in January in Key Largo? Are we going to look like out of town clowns in our dry suits?

Mid 70's. Thin undergarments should be fine.

Today the water was 78. With the warm weather this winter the mid 70s are looking safe.

The water in winter tends to be warmer than the air.
While I've seen it 68, last winter was about 72ish.
I'm usually diving wet to about 72-74ish unless there is cold snap then it's nice to not be wet in the wind. Thin undies, hood probably not needed.

Who are you diving with?

Have fun.

How about in 30 days from now - and a little more north - say like offshore Jupiter? Booked a boat dive yesterday so just wondering.

The water in winter tends to be warmer than the air.
While I've seen it 68, last winter was about 72ish.
I'm usually diving wet to about 72-74ish unless there is cold snap then it's nice to not be wet in the wind. Thin undies, hood probably not needed.

Who are you diving with?

Have fun.

Ive dove in Key west and I use the same dive boat there every year, but, my diving so far in Key Largo hasn't developed a specific loyalty (that's not to say the shop we dove with last time was bad, they were good enough for me to buy a T shirt!!!...but there wasn't anything over the top for me to say "Ill go to the same place". That being said, we had a recommendation from a local NJ friend who recently taught a CCR class at Horizon so we went with his recommendation and booked Horizon for a bunch of trips.

You'll see anything from shorty wetsuits to dry suits during the winter in Jupiter and WPB. Some of the folks who dive super regularly during the winter will dive dry in tropical weight dry suits. I see folks wearing very light under garments and occasionally see divers wearing blue jeans and a tee shirt under their dry suit. Jupiter temps usually are a couple degrees cooler than Key Largo. Winter temps usually are around 72 degrees but can get into the upper 60's. Occasionally we'll get a freakish up welling that will drive temps into the 50's but that isn't typical in the winter. Fleece for the SI is a good idea if you decide to go with a wet suit.

I've dove with Horizon in the past: I really liked the captain and crew though the front desk folks need a few lessons in customer service. Aside from that, my only knock on the shop is that they don't give you a break on the price if you bring your own tanks like most shops in KL. I'd go back out with them again if they had an interesting dive scheduled, but tend to dive with Conch Republic the most along with Silent World on occasion.

Horizon is solid. You won't be dissapointed, especially if you decide to hot drop the deeper wrecks out there...their captains are amazing. Silent world is good as well, or at least they were last time I dove with them...but it's been a few years. Supposedly their new boat is a beast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom