Key Largo vs. Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are novice divers, we have about 25 dives each. We are planning a "family vacation" (extended family) in July 2013 but we are the only divers in the family. Most of the family people seem to want to go to Key West, but I sense that the diving there is not so good -- though we are new divers we pretty much enjoy it any time we make bubbles. Should we push to go to Key Largo? Are there a variety of non-diving activities there for kids and older, more sedentary adults?

This is my first post on scubaboard, so glad to find it and I hope I am in the right place!

Thanks,

Bill

Welcome to ScubaBoard Bill!

I first went to Largo as a non-diver, and had fun snorkeling, taking the wife shopping, and enjoying the nightlife. Now that I dive, I love it even more. For non-divers there are things like the Visitor Center at Pennekamp, glass bottom boat tours, fishing, and other water related activities.

That being said, I understand Key West has much to offer the non-divers. (Never made the last 50 miles myself!) Not so sure that Key West is really a good place for older, sedentary folks - I picture it as more of a younger folks town - but if the old folks are willing to endure a bit of fun out of their normal comfort zone it could be fun for all. I have heard the reefs at Key West are in worse shape, but I hope others will chime in to offer recent experience at either or both places.

Whichever you decide, I'm sure you will have fun!

.... in July 2013

Just a reminder that July 24th & 25th of 2013 is lobster mini season in the Keys. Busy would be a diving understatement, it's almost a national holiday down there. I love all of the keys, go have fun at each !!

If it is 50 miles, is it feasible to drive from KW to KL for a day's diving?

it's actually 100 miles or so to key largo and about a 2 hr drive depending on the time of day. it's worthy for a day of diving if your staying in key west. having said that, key west probably has enough quality dive sites to keep you both happy without the drive,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

It is 2 hrs from key west to key largo...... Key Largo has better diving. I recommend Rainbow Reef. Plus, July 2013? Sounds like you have tons of time to get them certified!!!

If it is 50 miles, is it feasible to drive from KW to KL for a day's diving?

The others are right - I may have misled you. I have only made it about 1/2 way between the two (Key Largo & Key West) when I was driving around the keys. I was just sightseeing as I was driving along. Thus my comment about not making the last 50 miles.

If reefman says KW has enough good dives, I would go with his advice. (He is local) I presume you are flying. If you fly to Miami, or someplace similar, Key Largo is closer. If you fly to Key West, you are there.

Pay attention to events like the lobster mini-season - they can really swing the amount of traffic on both land and sea.

Have fun with the planning!

Key West definately has a lot more to do top side from bars and clubs for the partiers to museums, galleries and shopping for the more cerebral. Both, KL and KW are going to have plenty of water activities for diver and non-diver alike. You did not put your dates, but you have already been warned about mini-season. July 21 is Ernest Hemingway's B-day and KW has many activities from Look-a-like contest to live readings hosted by his family at his KW home.

As far as the diving goes, you will hear many comments that the diving in the upper Keys is better, and I would have to agree, but that is not to say that the diving in the Lower Keys is bad.

Where ever you end up going, enjoy!!!

Safe Dives
Trtldvr

For the non-divers, Key West would be much better than Key Largo. Instead of driving the 2-3 hours up to Key Largo, consider diving in Looe Key which is only about 20 miles up from Key West (maybe 30 minute drive max). Many divers think Looe has the best reef diving in the Keys. It is also not very crowded. The downside is that there are only about 4-5 dive shops around there. I dove with Innerspace and Looe Key Reef Resort. Both were good ops. Actually, Looe Key Reef Resort may be best for your family because they run a big pontoon boat carrying both divers and snorklers.

Key Largo has many dive sites with different profiles and is perfect for newer divers (or experienced divers). I dove this last weekend and went from sites that were only 20 feet deep to sites that were over 100 feet deep. Lots and lots and lots of dive options.

I've never dove the Big Pine Key/Marathon area, but my daughter has snorkeled Looe Key (sp?) and a buddy has dove it. Both had a great time on their respective trips. The drive to Big Pine or Marathon from Key West is not very far, if that is where you end up vacationing, and you should find some very nice and scenic shallow reefs.

Key West is a fun place to visit and has more to do if you have family members that are not into water sports (diving, fishing, jet ski, sailing, etc.). However, for water sports, you can't beat Key Largo and Islamorada in my opinion. Dive all day, clean up, find a nice place to have dinner and/or drinks, wake up and repeat.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom