Key Largo vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaguy1889

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, Just wanted to share some info about a wonderful dive operator in Key Largo. My wife and I just got back from Key Largo where we dove 14 dives with Horizon divers. By far the best operator I have evr dove with. I was a bit skeptical at first because of the size of the boat thinking I was in for a cattle drive. I can say however that I never felt crowded or rushed. The crew was extremely helpful and patient with my wife who has just begun diving. we were there for a week and even though seas were quite rough all week (3-5), we only visited one dive sight twice over a period of 14 dives. We stayed right next door at Best Western Suites. This place offers great specials if you book the hotel through Horizon divers. Just wanted to share the info with all of you. By the way, while diving the Duane, I was bit in the leg by a green sea turtle and had to go for a tetenis shot yesterday. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

I absolutely agree they are my favorite also. I dove with them last Sat. (5/3) afternoon and night as well as this past Thursday. I am currently doing my AOW with them. In fact, I could not get on their dive this Sat. and I had to dive with someone else and it was not even close.

what was the situation immediately preceding the bite? Where were you on the wreck? Were you swimming or stationary... neutral or negative... what was your position/activity relative to the turtle's... did you see him/her prior to the biting? I'm having trouble visualizing a turtle attacking a diver. Thanks for sharing!

scubaguy1889 once bubbled...
By the way, while diving the Duane, I was bit in the leg by a green sea turtle and had to go for a tetenis shot yesterday. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

well I wouldn;t go as far as to call it an attack. I was actually just exiting a short swimthrough in the superstructure of the ship, I was the first one in my group through and was very aware of my surroundings, not noticing the turtle inside the swimthrough with us. I was hovering just outside the swimthrough when i felt a sharp pain on my left calf and felt a weight of something on my leg. When i looked down i was shocked to see a green turtle attached to it. I simply kicked my fin a couple times and he swam away, to bite my wife's leg also. I was told by someone that this may be consistent with a mating ritual in which the turtle will grab his prospective mate by a flipper first to gain her attention.

Somebodys got an admirer, hehe....
Sorry couldn't resist....

I have had one swim up and investigate/taste my camera strap. It was while I was snorkling at Sand Key in Key West. The camera strap was red (Canon U/W Point&Sh**) and I thought it might of been just curious until it took a nip, I then quickly hid it as not to entice the turtle. I think he was probably used to getting "hand outs":(

Pretty exciting though.

-Crispy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom