Trip Report Key Largo Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's true. Some rules one finds out beforehand (ideally from the dive op.'s website; less ideally from reviews online such as ScubaBoard; worst of all on the boat when it's too late to consider alternative options if desired).

At what point would a dive tourist normally find out about the 45-minute limit?

This is good to know, as Key Largo is a destination that may draw some relative newbie divers, or occasional vacation divers who have previously dealt with op.s that did tank swaps for them. Did it appear all divers on the boat did their own tank swaps?

Richard.
Everyone was responsible for their gear the entire time. As it should be in my opinion.

We rented a VRBO on Largo. We didn’t do any afternoon dives as the other half of the family doesn’t dive. They had a few afternoon divers each day, but most did not. Given the depths of the morning divs, NDL wouldn’t have been an issue for any afternoon divers. We did dive the SG as well.

Largo FL is up near Tampa. I assume you mean Key Largo? :wink:

That's true. Some rules one finds out beforehand (ideally from the dive op.'s website; less ideally from reviews online such as ScubaBoard; worst of all on the boat when it's too late to consider alternative options if desired).

At what point would a dive tourist normally find out about the 45-minute limit?

During the briefing typically. If being able to dive to the maximum extent of your air or NDL is important, I suggest you ask when you book. Most charter boats do not allow that, at least not here in Florida. There needs to be some sort of limit for those diving large singles, doubles, or with crazy good air consumption. Without that the boat has no hope of staying on any sort of schedule.

Only dove with RR once and it was a solo night dive.
Usually dive with HD which is up the road and is a pretty solid OP ran by Dan and his team.

45 min is a short dive particularly for the shallow reef sites in Key Largo, not sure if any other operators limit the dives that much.

I've used Conch Republic strictly (Tavernier), they open the pool for "about an hour", if you're ready to go, and one of the first in, you can get over an hour without issue.

Over a week of diving... that's a significant difference in bottom time... nearly 3 hours total...

Great report. I am going with my adult son this week Thursday for a long weekend dive trip. He was just certified so I figured the Keys would be great for his first ocean dives. I've dove there many times in the past but by the Marathon area. I've always wanted to do Key Largo so looking forward to it especially since I finally got my son to get certified. He loves the water, loves to snorkel and loved doing the snuba in Marathon when he was younger . I do not like what you said about the boat and the time restriction either. We are staying at Amy Slates Amoray Dive Resort. I wonder if that's how they do it to? Oh well its always good to get in the water!

Great report. I am going with my adult son this week Thursday for a long weekend dive trip. He was just certified so I figured the Keys would be great for his first ocean dives. I've dove there many times in the past but by the Marathon area. I've always wanted to do Key Largo so looking forward to it especially since I finally got my son to get certified. He loves the water, loves to snorkel and loved doing the snuba in Marathon when he was younger . I do not like what you said about the boat and the time restriction either. We are staying at Amy Slates Amoray Dive Resort. I wonder if that's how they do it to? Oh well its always good to get in the water!
I've dove with AS several times since 2000. They usually give you about an hour on each site as I recall. Granted it's been a few years since I was there. From what I understand AS is under new ownership/mgmt, so dive procedures may be different as well. Let us know. I am planning a trip there for next year. Safe travels, have a great time!🙂

During the briefing typically. If being able to dive to the maximum extent of your air or NDL is important, I suggest you ask when you book. Most charter boats do not allow that, at least not here in Florida. There needs to be some sort of limit for those diving large singles, doubles, or with crazy good air consumption. Without that the boat has no hope of staying on any sort of schedule.
Additionally, without a time limit there would be know way to determine if a diver is missing or just going for a nice long dive. Head on the surface at 60 minutes. If you're not up by 65 minutes they're calling the CG.

We were at Amoray in June this year. All our dives were 1 hour. The small boats and convenience of staying at the resort were real plusses. Not cheap to stay at Amoray but will do again in the future

We were at Amoray in June this year. All our dives were 1 hour. The small boats and convenience of staying at the resort were real plusses. Not cheap to stay at Amoray but will do again in the future
No where in key largo is cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom