Trip Report Key Largo Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We took the family down for a last minute vacation to the Keys for a week’s vacation before our kids head back to college. My son and I dove four days with Rainbow Reef. The weather was excellent with flat water, air and water temps in the mid 80s. Vis averaged around 60 feet and very little current except one dive. Most of the reef was healthy, saw very little algae or dead coral on French and Molasses reef dives. Saw no lion fish. We saw plenty of large schools of fish of the usual Caribbean suspects and far amount of micro life, jaw fish, blemies, flamingo tongues and a couple nudibranchs. Not much on the macro side of things. Few nurse sharks and a couple eels. No other shark species, turtles or rays. Moon jellies near the surface on most dives.

This trip came together less than two weeks prior do to work isssues. It’s been at least ten years since I used a cattle boat type op. We usually dive with smaller (less than eight divers on a boat) type ops. But with short notice the couple of smaller operators didn’t have space for us. I new that Rainbow Reef was a large operation, but they seemed to get decent reviews on SB. I didn’t realize they were the largest dive op in the northern hemisphere (as they claimed) until I got there. For the most part they were well organized. We had different staff every day and most of them were pleasant people. However they run their operation on a tight schedule. I suppose you have two with six big boats and 20+ divers on each of them. Add the dms, first mates and captain and you have a very crowded boat. Dives were strictly 45 minutes.
I had 1000-1500 psi left every dive. You were told many times the boat was leaving in an hour. Surface intervals were as long as it took to get to the next dive site, usually 10 minutes. You had to hustle to swap out your tank. It’s their business model and seems to work for them. It’s just not our thing.
The biggest issue we had was the heads on the boats. On two of the three boats we were on they didn’t work. Not that we needed them. But one boat we dove on for two days smelled so bad it made you gag when the wind died down. It was like sitting in a carnival porta potty in 90 degree weather. Rough! With the amount of money coming into that business there is no excuse for at least pumping it out if not repairing it.
We look forward to diving Largo again, but will use a smaller more diver oriented op.

We took the family down for a last minute vacation to the Keys for a week’s vacation before our kids head back to college. My son and I dove four days with Rainbow Reef. The weather was excellent with flat water, air and water temps in the mid 80s. Vis averaged around 60 feet and very little current except one dive. Most of the reef was healthy, saw very little algae or dead coral on French and Molasses reef dives. Saw no lion fish. We saw plenty of large schools of fish of the usual Caribbean suspects and far amount of micro life, jaw fish, blemies, flamingo tongues and a couple nudibranchs. Not much on the macro side of things. Few nurse sharks and a couple eels. No other shark species, turtles or rays. Moon jellies near the surface on most dives.

This trip came together less than two weeks prior do to work isssues. It’s been at least ten years since I used a cattle boat type op. We usually dive with smaller (less than eight divers on a boat) type ops. But with short notice the couple of smaller operators didn’t have space for us. I new that Rainbow Reef was a large operation, but they seemed to get decent reviews on SB. I didn’t realize they were the largest dive op in the northern hemisphere (as they claimed) until I got there. For the most part they were well organized. We had different staff every day and most of them were pleasant people. However they run their operation on a tight schedule. I suppose you have two with six big boats and 20+ divers on each of them. Add the dms, first mates and captain and you have a very crowded boat. Dives were strictly 45 minutes.
I had 1000-1500 psi left every dive. You were told many times the boat was leaving in an hour. Surface intervals were as long as it took to get to the next dive site, usually 10 minutes. You had to hustle to swap out your tank. It’s their business model and seems to work for them. It’s just not our thing.
The biggest issue we had was the heads on the boats. On two of the three boats we were on they didn’t work. Not that we needed them. But one boat we dove on for two days smelled so bad it made you gag when the wind died down. It was like sitting in a carnival porta potty in 90 degree weather. Rough! With the amount of money coming into that business there is no excuse for at least pumping it out if not repairing it.
We look forward to diving Largo again, but will use a smaller more diver oriented op.
With that much gas left and such a short surface interval you could consider SCBA for the smell!

Most of the reef was healthy, saw very little algae or dead coral on French and Molasses reef dives. Saw no lion fish....
Key Largo is a great, easy last minute trip. Thanks for the report !!

Yeah… they’re serious about the 60 time limit at some places in the keys. They have to get back to take out the next trip. I’ve had them bang a lead weight on the ladder to recall the remaining divers at the 60 minute mark. Usually by then most divers are right below the boat anyway.

Yeah… they’re serious about the 60 time limit at some places in the keys. They have to get back to take out the next trip. I’ve had them bang a lead weight on the ladder to recall the remaining divers at the 60 minute mark. Usually by then most divers are right below the boat anyway.

If a boat gives you rules they expect you to follow them. If you don’t like the rules, dive with a different boat.

Where did you stay topside and were you happy with it?

When I dove with them way back in 2013, they offered 2 2-tank boat trips/day for 4 dives/day potentially (and I got 20 dives in 5 days); perhaps that's why they're stringent on dive time limitations.

Did you do any of the deep offshore wrecks like the Spiegel Grove?

Richard.

If a boat gives you rules they expect you to follow them. If you don’t like the rules, dive with a different boat.
That's true. Some rules one finds out beforehand (ideally from the dive op.'s website; less ideally from reviews online such as ScubaBoard; worst of all on the boat when it's too late to consider alternative options if desired).

At what point would a dive tourist normally find out about the 45-minute limit?

However they run their operation on a tight schedule. I suppose you have two with six big boats and 20+ divers on each of them. Add the dms, first mates and captain and you have a very crowded boat. Dives were strictly 45 minutes.
I had 1000-1500 psi left every dive. You were told many times the boat was leaving in an hour. Surface intervals were as long as it took to get to the next dive site, usually 10 minutes. You had to hustle to swap out your tank.
This is good to know, as Key Largo is a destination that may draw some relative newbie divers, or occasional vacation divers who have previously dealt with op.s that did tank swaps for them. Did it appear all divers on the boat did their own tank swaps?

Richard.

Where did you stay topside and were you happy with it?

When I dove with them way back in 2013, they offered 2 2-tank boat trips/day for 4 dives/day potentially (and I got 20 dives in 5 days); perhaps that's why they're stringent on dive time limitations.

Did you do any of the deep offshore wrecks like the Spiegel Grove?

Richard.
We rented a VRBO on Largo. We didn’t do any afternoon dives as the other half of the family doesn’t dive. They had a few afternoon divers each day, but most did not. Given the depths of the morning divs, NDL wouldn’t have been an issue for any afternoon divers. We did dive the SG as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom