Key Largo Raw Oyster Bar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Key Largo Fish Company. Best place for a taste of Keys as it was 30 years. Sit outside and enjoy the feel of ocean and enjoy their fresh from the docks selections. What they lack in atmosphere they make up in freshness.

The Fish House is too expensive and crowded for me. Most places have raw oysters. Water has to be cold and no "r" in the month for me to like it. No coon oysters either.

The Fish House is too expensive and crowded for me. Most places have raw oysters. Water has to be cold and no "r" in the month for me to like it. No coon oysters either.
I was unaware of the potential health issue with warm water oysters. So why not just source northern oysters during the r months?

Here in Toronto we have oysters available year round. They mostly come from British Columbia or one of the eastern provinces with some from northern coastal states.

I was unaware of the potential health issue with warm water oysters. So why not just source northern oysters during the r months?

As I said in my post above, many restaurants do, though I can't speak for any in Key Largo. I would suspect that if they serve oysters year round, then at times they have had to look farther afield than the Gulf. I've been in places on the Gulf when they acknowledged the oysters were from somewhere way up north due to algae blooms or the oyster reproductive season or whatever (I'm not a biologist, just an oyster lover.)

I used to harvest my own oysters... and then I had a week long bout of dysentery. I choose my months wisely and don't eat oysters very often. :D

Gulf oysters - maybe not in warmer months. But in the Northeast and Northern Calif. oysters are always in season, at least in my experience. Some of the best I've had were along Tomales Bay / Point Reyes, CA in July. Them's good eat'n.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom