Key Largo operator-no computer req'd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need a recommendation or two for dive operators in Key Largo that meet the following criteria:

1) small boats-no cattle cars

2) will not change dive sites because they find themselves with beginners-scheduled sites would be good.

3) don't require dive computers do dive the Grove (or anything else for that matter)

4) can do 32EAN as well as 36EAN.

5) won't cost $70-$80 per 2-tank dive. I like the places that offer discout for 5 or 6 days of diving.

I've found a few that I like but I'm having trouble finding one that meets all the above. I was going to go with Scuba Do until I read on their site that they require a computer to dive the Spiegal Grove. To me that means that either they don't realize that you don't need a computer to dive, and/or their clientele are "beginners" who don't know how to plan a dive and need computers. Either way, it left me wondering what else they would try to micromanage.

So, here I am looking for a little help. Also wondering if there are any DIR friendly shops in Key Largo. That might be a better way to go. I'm just a little frustrated here. I may end up with Ocean Divers just because they are well known and have a set schedule for dives. They also only require a depth gauge and timing device.

What do you folks think? Any other ideas?

The majority of ScubaDo's clientelle is indeed the vacationing occasional diver. Last time I was on the boat and asked about doubles and deco; Tony was fairly adamant - no way... Still a very good op, friendly as can be. Just not what your looking for in this trip.

BlueWaterDivers, ConchRepublic, Divers City USA can do the nitrox and are fairly flexible and will try and cater to you requests. Over a 5-6 day trip - I'm sure they can rotate in a healthy mix of deepwrecks. I've been w/ BWD and CR and they have not deviated from any set combo. (wreck/wreck, wreck/reef, reef/reef)

Unless you showup w/ your own filled tanks - you'll be nearing the $70-80/trip price for Nitrox anywhere. Avg price for trip alone is in the $60-70 ballpark. Ops add $5-10 for a nitrox fill.

DiversCity and CR can do any mix via PP.
OceanDivers has a membrane - they bank 32.
BWD can get you whatever you want - likely PP.

All dive ops in Key Largo will change sites depending on conditions (wind, seas). The weather can be "iffy" this time of year. They'd rather go out to a tamer site than stay at the dock and make no money. FWIW.

StSomewhere:
All dive ops in Key Largo will change sites depending on conditions (wind, seas). The weather can be "iffy" this time of year. They'd rather go out to a tamer site than stay at the dock and make no money. FWIW.

That's normal and to be expected. Not what I was referring to though.

netmage:
The majority of ScubaDo's clientelle is indeed the vacationing occasional diver. Last time I was on the boat and asked about doubles and deco; Tony was fairly adamant - no way... Still a very good op, friendly as can be. Just not what your looking for in this trip.

BlueWaterDivers, ConchRepublic, Divers City USA can do the nitrox and are fairly flexible and will try and cater to you requests. Over a 5-6 day trip - I'm sure they can rotate in a healthy mix of deepwrecks. I've been w/ BWD and CR and they have not deviated from any set combo. (wreck/wreck, wreck/reef, reef/reef)

Unless you showup w/ your own filled tanks - you'll be nearing the $70-80/trip price for Nitrox anywhere. Avg price for trip alone is in the $60-70 ballpark. Ops add $5-10 for a nitrox fill.

DiversCity and CR can do any mix via PP.
OceanDivers has a membrane - they bank 32.
BWD can get you whatever you want - likely PP.

My price range was not including Nitrox. I expect to pay $5-10 extra for that. Thanks for the recs. CR has been in contact with me so I'm checking them out. A few miles away from the condo we are renting but probably worth it.

MsParamedic:
Silent World meets your critera.......max is 14 to a boat

This operation was among the finalist for me until I read VTDiver2's report a couple of weeks ago. SW scrubbed his scheduled location because beginner divers showed up at the last minute.
I do not want my diving limited by students or "new" divers who need to be babied. That's why I'm looking for a charter that has sheduled location dives and does not deviate except for weather. I can't plan a dive properly if the location gets changed 15 minutes before the dive.

There are operators on the Keys who don't change their sites and that's what I'm really looking for. I know I'm going to end up on a 20+ diver cattle boat because I'm sure that the smaller operations are dependent on student divers to make a living and will change their sites to accomodate them.

scubamickey:
This operation was among the finalist for me until I read VTDiver2's report a couple of weeks ago. SW scrubbed his scheduled location because beginner divers showed up at the last minute.
I do not want my diving limited by students or "new" divers who need to be babied. That's why I'm looking for a charter that has sheduled location dives and does not deviate except for weather. I can't plan a dive properly if the location gets changed 15 minutes before the dive.

There are operators on the Keys who don't change their sites and that's what I'm really looking for. I know I'm going to end up on a 20+ diver cattle boat because I'm sure that the smaller operations are dependent on student divers to make a living and will change their sites to accomodate them.
Try Brent at Blue water divers - 10 max and a great operation/ He'll tell you like it is/

I just got back from Diving With Conch Republic and from what I saw they could meet all your requirements. They do discount the pricing when paying for multiple dives in advance and don't forget to ask for the Scubaboard discount.

Every dive I went out on had less than a dozen divers... usually 6 or 7. Pleanty of room for everyone. There were some guys diving the SG with computers and some on tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom