Key Largo - June 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapro67

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking to come down to Key Largo with a group of about 12 divers (all at least AOW) from my local dive club in June for up to a week - need objective advice about which operator, dive sites etc...
Grateful for any suggestions and/or your experiences.

Duncan

I have been very pleased with Horizon Divers - they are good for every level from snorkel to tech.

My wife and I use Quiessence. They run 6 packs out of Key Largo. We tend to do shallow diving on the reefs. A really nice dive is the Benwood which is a wreck from 1942 in about 40' (max) of water. It really depends on what you want to do, what they best dive sites are. There are deep wreck dives at Key Largo. There are quite a few shallow dives. Quiessence is good because they know quite a few sites that do not have buoys and not very many people go to them.

I would recommend Conch Republic Divers just south of Key Largo.

Looking to come down to Key Largo with a group of about 12 divers (all at least AOW) from my local dive club in June for up to a week - need objective advice about which operator, dive sites etc...
Grateful for any suggestions and/or your experiences.

Duncan

Large group, I'd look at Ocean Divers DIVE THE REEFS AND WRECKS OF KEY LARGO, FLORIDA WITH OCEAN DIVERS! see what they could do for you. Two large Newtons, very relible transportation, AM and PM with as few as 2 divers.

Hey Duncan -

I would suggest you check out Rainbow Reef Dive Center. They have four boats - a couple over 40 ft. that accomodate over 30 divers and a couple of smaller boats that would be perfect for 12 divers. You might be able to get a "private" boat for your group.

Rainbow Reef also has arrangements with several of the hotels in the immediate area and will make your lodging arrangements for you as a package deal. Their website is very informative:

Dive Key Largo, Florida Keys with Rainbow Reef Dive Center;scuba diving:diving, Florida keys, florida diving

Many thanks for all the advice - seems the greatest expense will be the accommodation. Need to check into house sharing as an alternative to hotels....
Thoughts on must do dive sites? Thinking Spiegel, Duane, Benwood, Molasses, Bibb, Thunderbolt - what am I missing?

Call Brenda at Conch Republic. She will make sure your trip is a great one.

I have dove with several of the operators in the Keys. Horizon is by far the best. I have friends that work at other shops but still dive with Horizon. They are by far the most flexible on scheduling. Other shops have a schedule that they do not deviate from. One shop that has been mentioned in this thread is a very bad bet for sure.

---------- Post added January 4th, 2013 at 04:30 PM ----------

Many thanks for all the advice - seems the greatest expense will be the accommodation. Need to check into house sharing as an alternative to hotels....
Thoughts on must do dive sites? Thinking Spiegel, Duane, Benwood, Molasses, Bibb, Thunderbolt - what am I missing?

Hotels are definitely a good part of the expense. Some vacation rentals are available in the area and may be a better option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom