Key Largo/Islamorada...looking for a good dive shop that meets specific criteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am taking a trip with the SO in May. She has completed her class/pool work here in frosty Ct and will be doing her referral dives in the Keys. Here are the things I am looking for in a dive shop...please sound off if you know one that fits well =)

Outside instructors allowed to certify on the boat (with proper insurance of course, an instructor friend will be joining us)
Dock close to a clean/reasonable hotel.
A shop that allows transfer of dives if for some reason my SO does not enjoy open water diving (many shops don't allow this...if you know the reason I would like to know it, so far I've had 2 owners get angry with me for questioning the reasoning behind this)
Rental gear costs $30 or under per day
Boats that DON'T load the max allowed by USCG regs (I don't mind a big boat with lots of divers....but I don't want her 1st dives to be on a crowded cattle boat)
Shops that allow diving by computer/gas limits, not timers
Onsite gear storage
Camera rinse tanks

I know many people post asking for suggestions, but I didn't see much in the way of specifics. Thanks for the help all =)

I am taking a trip with the SO in May. She has completed her class/pool work here in frosty Ct and will be doing her referral dives in the Keys. Here are the things I am looking for in a dive shop...please sound off if you know one that fits well =)

Outside instructors allowed to certify on the boat (with proper insurance of course, an instructor friend will be joining us) That should not be a problem as long as the instructor brings all his or her credentials with them including the students.

Dock close to a clean/reasonable hotel. Key Largo MM100 is right in the heart of diving with hotels surrounding the dive shops.

A shop that allows transfer of dives if for some reason my SO does not enjoy open water diving (many shops don't allow this...if you know the reason I would like to know it, so far I've had 2 owners get angry with me for questioning the reasoning behind this) I don't see a problem as long as the shop is not losing money on a empty seat and they have room to accommodate an extra diver for your extra days you want to add your diving.

Rental gear costs $30 or under per day Most rentals are $30-$45 for a two tank dive

Boats that DON'T load the max allowed by USCG regs (I don't mind a big boat with lots of divers....but I don't want her 1st dives to be on a crowded cattle boat)
This one would depend on how many divers they have booked on their boat. Most dive shops here will not put a lot of divers on a boat unless there is a big event happening ( You should ask for your time frame and see )

Shops that allow diving by computer/gas limits, not timers
( I am thinking this one is not for your SO ) I'm sure your SO would not like sitting on a boat if she is sick waiting on someone to come up from and extended dive.
Most all dive shops here are 500 psi or 1 hr which ever comes first. This is for not only to get the boat back in time for the next departure but to make sure everyone comes up and boards around the same time.

Onsite gear storage
To name a few Horizon Divers, Ocean Divers, Conch Republic Divers, Garden Cove Divers, Keys Diver. Just to name a few.

Camera rinse tanks
I have yet to see a boat that does not have one on board.

I know many people post asking for suggestions, but I didn't see much in the way of specifics. Thanks for the help all =)

I do hope this has helped.

First I would not recommend Garden Cove. Nice people but an iffy, slow boat.

I would go with Conch Republc or Ocean Divers. Both have big stable boats. Transferring dives will depend on your approach. Conch has great gear storage. Oceans Divers is in the most convenient location. You can walk from your hotel to the boats (and restaurants) and they have great camera tables and buckets.

If you like 6 packs and deluxe service I would call Jeff and the Minnow. He is bit more expensive but is the favorite of my oh so picky wife.

First I would not recommend Garden Cove. Nice people but an iffy, slow boat.

I would go with Conch Republc or Ocean Divers. Both have big stable boats. Transferring dives will depend on your approach. Conch has great gear storage. Oceans Divers is in the most convenient location. You can walk from your hotel to the boats (and restaurants) and they have great camera tables and buckets.

If you like 6 packs and deluxe service I would call Jeff and the Minnow. He is bit more expensive but is the favorite of my oh so picky wife.

Garden Cove Divers boat departures are 8:30am-12:30pm and 1:30pm -4:30pm Unless we have a 3 tank dive going that day. Which by the way is a great deal $74 for a 3 tank dive. Garden Cove Divers boat is a 36' boat but is only run with 6 divers. Plenty of room for everyone. I dont believe our times are any different than the rest. I do know the last boat of the day the divers can stay longer if they want unless there is a night dive scheduled.

Well, it looks like I will be going with Island Ventures. And I may also sneak in some afternoon 3 tankers with Garden Cove (I don't mind a little bit longer ride if necessary) if they have them available when I get there. Thanks all for the responses and opinions.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom