Key Largo in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT Sean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all. Been thinking about taking a trip down to Key Largo this summer, probably staying at Ocean Point Suites and diving with Conch Republic.

I just discovered the time we've been planning coincides with the start of lobster season: Aug 6th. I'm not interested in lobstering (not really interested in mobs of people either), should I reconsider my trip dates? I found several threads regarding the "madness" of the mini lobster season, but not smuch regarding "actual" lobster season

thanks

Hi all. Been thinking about taking a trip down to Key Largo this summer, probably staying at Ocean Point Suites and diving with Conch Republic.

Welcome to the Keys

I just discovered the time we've been planning coincides with the start of lobster season: Aug 6th. I'm not interested in lobstering (not really interested in mobs of people either), should I reconsider my trip dates? I found several threads regarding the "madness" of the mini lobster season, but not smuch regarding "actual" lobster season

There is a lot more madness during the mini-season than the start of the real season, but all the dive sites will be extra crowded for certain. I'd think about pushing it up a month and going diving in mid July if you can. The dive sites will uncrowded then.

--

Bud

If you dive inside the Sanctuary you will be fine

Sean - it is hardly any busier that week than any other time of the year. Water is at it's warmest, weather tends to be nice, all good. We have been going down the last week of July for the past 6 years and have never had a less than spectacular trip. Email me at dave@indianvalleyscuba.com and I'll be glad to give you oodles of information to help you plan your trip!

Sean

The date your thinking about coming down is around the opening of lobster season. Right now we have our morning boats dedicated to lobstering, but that just means we dive reefs. Mini-Lobster season is the last Wed-Thu in July.

Most of the insanity we see out there are from private boaters, we strive to keep the insanity on our boats down to a dull rumble.:pirate2:

We will be busy that week, but no more than any others. As the time gets closer why not just give us a call and we can let you know about the loading so you can consider your time frame for coming down.

Good Diving,

Welcome to the Keys

There is a lot more madness during the mini-season than the start of the real season, but all the dive sites will be extra crowded for certain. I'd think about pushing it up a month and going diving in mid July if you can. The dive sites will uncrowded then.

--

Bud

Thanks for the welcome :) we've (wife and I) have actually been there several times, usually closer to your neck of the woods. Actually as recently as last Nov, which coincided with the powerboat races so the crowds are fresh in my mind. Looks like we're "stuck" with the 2nd week of august timeframe due to wife's rigid vacation schedule so it looks like we'll be going to Curacao instead (I know boohoo right?)

Thanks for the responses everyone.

.... so it looks like we'll be going to Curacao instead (I know boohoo right?)

The regular season opening is pretty tame and not like mini-season. It's a really good opportunity to talk with alot of other divers about different types of equipment and learn diffferent dive techniques if you are a recent diver. When you go to dinner each night there will be a majority of divers around and you'll meet alot of new people who are excited about diving. Water temps that week will allow you to dive in a teeshirt and board shorts, not bad huh!!

I'd hit the keys, you won't regret it.

Its a good time to go; weather generally good and seas calm (but it is Hurricane Season, so monitor weather - but for me, late August and September are peak times).

Good advice re avoiding mini season but the official open is a week later and much calmer - less expensive for just about everything, too - Mini Season in the Keys is Christmas, New Years, Easter, St Patricks Day all rolled into a few days - ESPECIALLY if you do not want to lobster, far better to avoid it.

it looks like we'll be going to Curacao instead (I know boohoo right?)

I've been to both Curacao and Bonaire and they are both beautiful places for diving.

Bonaire has better diving overall, but absolutely no nightlife and not much to do other than diving.

Curacao has much better entertainment and night life, but they aren't as much into conservation so the reefs aren't as pristine.

Either way, you should have fun. Hope you visit us soon.

--

Bud

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom