Key Largo exposure suit help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going diving in Key Largo in 5 days and all I have is a 3mm hyperstrech shorty I don't like cold water and have no previous experience with this wet suit. Can anyone tell me if this would be enough. I know everyone is different but assume I would rather be a little too warm. Is a 3mm full good or should I go to a 5mm ?
Ed

If you don't want to be cold at all... get the 5... I dove a 7 the other day, and plan on using the same in Largo on Saturday.

2 weeks ago was my last dive for the summer on a 3mm wetsuit. the water temp was 79 it was tolerable but not comfortable.(we're kind of spoil here in south florida)
so from no on untill summer, starting this weekend dive at the Speigel , I will use my Henderson hoodedvest suit its 3mm/5mm. then I wear my regular 3mm suit ontop. so I have a total of 6mm for my chest and 5mm for my head. feels like summer again.!

I just got home from the Keys.
I dove a 3mm full all week. It was great except for deeper dives. I left my 5/3 full at home, but I would have used it if I had it with me. Average water temp was 78 degrees, but it was 74 degrees at depth.

Divedoggie:
I just got home from the Keys.
I dove a 3mm full all week. It was great except for deeper dives. I left my 5/3 full at home, but I would have used it if I had it with me. Average water temp was 78 degrees, but it was 74 degrees at depth.

Not to hijack, but which mountains do you live in? Getting snowed on now?

I wore my drysuit with some thin sweats under it.

Nice and comfy, although I got some strange looks.

Terry

es601:
I'm going diving in Key Largo in 5 days and all I have is a 3mm hyperstrech shorty I don't like cold water and have no previous experience with this wet suit. Can anyone tell me if this would be enough. I know everyone is different but assume I would rather be a little too warm. Is a 3mm full good or should I go to a 5mm ?
Ed

howarde:
Not to hijack, but which mountains do you live in? Getting snowed on now?
Hi Howarde,
I grew up in Vail. Family moved there in 1968. I have lived in Crested Butte for around 20 years. Splitting time between CB and Fort Collins right now while my girlfriend is attending the CSU Veterinary college.
Summit County has been getting a lot of snow(20 inches last weekend), and cold temps for snow-making. More snow on the way this weekend! It should be a great Thanksgiving for skiing this year!
I was shocked when I get off the plane yesterday. It was upper 80s in Miami when I left, and 23 degrees in Denver when I sprinted out to my truck!
How long have you been in Breck? I have a lot of friends there. We have probably crossed paths!

Did 2 dives this last weekend at Looe Key using a custom 3mm Goldcore full suit and a beanie.

1st dive was to the Adolphus Busch; 2nd, after a 45 minute SIT, was a 1 hour dive on the reef, mostly at 25' or so. Surface temps 78 degrees, pretty much the same at depth.

Spent the last 15 minutes of the second dive freezing. Got out of the water, and climbed into fleece jacket and bottoms. Was mightily wishing I'd brought my 3mm core warmer and full hood.

My wife was wishing she'd brought her Tropical Drysuit; she was cold as well.

All in all, the 20' of vis and beaten-up reef made the dives not worth the cold.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom