Key Largo dive site recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamedic2012

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys! Headed to Key Largo to dive morning and afternoon on April 13. We are NAUI OW certified. We have dove Molasses Reef (Eagle Ray & Aquarium), Benwood & French Reef (Xmas tree). All were wonderful, of course, as it was our first time to the Keys. Wanting to know everybody's favorite sites & why? We love the marine life & coral the most, but would like to go a little deeper than before. Possibly 60-80' but not sure if we are ready for 100'. We will have a guide and as I understand, OW divers can go deeper with a guide. Any thoughts or recomendataions are appreciated.

Not sure about your idea that you can go deaper than you are trained for with a guide....not an expert on cert rules....but IMO you should never dive beyond your training and experience because you are responsible for you, not a guide. My two cents...take it for what its worth.

As for dive sites, deeper is not always better IMO. Just finished 5 dives in key largo, none more than 30 ft and all amazing.

French and benwood were awesome yesterday, had the best dive I've ever had at christ the day before. Best site I've ever been to in key largo was carriesfort (spelling is probably wrong). Its far north and few ops will go there so less stress on the reef. If interested call john at silent world, he's been known to set it up if the economics of the trip are right. If not john and Capt Todd will make sure you get on the best site for you that day.

...but would like to go a little deeper than before. Possibly 60-80' but not sure if we are ready for 100'. We will have a guide and as I understand, OW divers can go deeper with a guide. Any thoughts or recomendataions are appreciated.
My recommendation is to consider Advanced Open Water Diver (or equivalent). The guide is likely an instructor and you'll essentially be conducting the deep dive from Advanced Open Water. IMHO you might just as well get credit toward your AOW certification if you're going to pay for supervision. The AOW course will unlock a more dive sites in your future inlcuding some of the very popular wrecks in the Keys. To get 60-80 feet in Largo usually puts you on the "back side" or East of Molassas reef, or on a wreck.

Largo has a lot of deep wrecks (Speigel, Eagle, Duane, Bibb) but there are around 100+ ft range and most charters would probably want you to have advanced cert. Not sure about NAUI but PADI OW max depth is 60ft I believe (AOW to 130ft). Would definitely recommend doing AOW. Again cannot speak for NAUI but PADI AOW is basically 5 dives with an instructor, and the navigation dive is the only one that really has any real skills to do...

Thanks for the feedback! I did specifically ask several services about diving deeper with a guide and all of them said we could however we are going to stick to the reefs because we have new equipment we have never used and want to get comfortable with. We are scheduled to take the AOW class in may so we can hopefully return in Sept. and do some wrecks. Once again thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the feedback! I did specifically ask several services about diving deeper with a guide and all of them said we could however we are going to stick to the reefs because we have new equipment we have never used and want to get comfortable with. We are scheduled to take the AOW class in may so we can hopefully return in Sept. and do some wrecks. Once again thanks for the replies.

The Duane is not overly technical if the current is not outragous (which I'm told it can be but I am about 10 for 10 w/o experiencing it). Your shallow water dives will familiarize you with your new equipment; you may want to consider the Duane after that weather permitting. You can dive the Duane and hang out at the crows nest at about 60 feet. The second dive on that trip is generally Molasses or another shallow reef.

Try to hit Elbow reef. Molasses is typically overloaded with dive boats and resembles a parking lot at times. It is nice to hit once if it is slammed. Elbow is north of Molasses and is usually vacant. There is a nice drift dive up there. I dive with Sail Fish Scuba and due to the small size of the boat and friendliness of the staff they typically have no issue heading in that direction. They will also put a guide in the water with you. There is a suggestion on the board that you just complete your AOW while there. I think that is a great idea since you are there and you can then go and dive deeper.

Have a great trip,

Bus

I like the Eagle wreck: its in about 100 feet of water, but you can do much of the dive at 75-80 feet. Given that it was split in half during a storm, it has an interesting topographical profile. Davis reef is a really nice shallow reef. Some of the guys that post pictures from Key Largo seem to get some nice photos from that reef regularly. I also like the City of Washington and Mike's wreck: both are shallow and pretty well broken up but again, create nice topography. I think the true origin of the wreck known as Mike's Wreck was recently discovered, but I think shops still refer to it as Mike's Wreck.

The best reef in the Florida Keys is Molasses Reef....in Key Largo. great marine life and best visibility on any given day.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom