Key Largo Dive Shop Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texellis

Registered
Reaction score
We will be diving in Key Largo in July for the first time and researching our choice of dive shop to use. We were considering Quiescence as we are looking for 6 pack boats only. It seems to have a great reputation and everything we were looking for, however, we were reading about the long boat rides to the dive sites (1 hour plus). We're wondering if there are any other reputable 6 pack operators located closer to the majority of the sites that we should consider. Any inputs would be very helpful... thanks!
J&A

If you want to go as far south as MM80, Seamonkey Watersports has a great 6 pack op right by Alligator Reef. It is a short ride to the reef and the reef is long enough that you can do 2 one hour long dives from the same location. They also put a guide in the water with you at no charge and are about $10 cheaper then most other ops.

Welcome to SeaMonkeys Watersports! Islamorada, Florida

---------- Post added May 12th, 2013 at 10:42 AM ----------

You can read my full review of their op here.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/451930-seamonkeys-water-sports.html

Thanks for the quick reply, Rich. We're staying in the Hampton in Key Largo so Sea Monkeys is a 22 mile drive from the hotel. I was looking for a shop close to the hotel with short boat rides. I'd rather spend our time underwater, not on the boat or driving.

My wife and I dove with Sail Fish SCUBA in Key Largo in Jan. Great Folks.. They put a guide in the water. Ask for George he was awesome.

I know of this really nice liveaboard.....

Quiescence is a great 6-pack, but you are right, since they are gulf-side, the ride is a little longer. As long as it's a nice day, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

A little bigger than a 6-pack, Scuba-Do is a ten-pack. Bigger boat, faster and smoother ride, but not a big crowded 32 person cattle boat. We had a great time with them, and it really is a good "in-between" size. They put a guide in the water which not many ops do. I imagine you can opt out of the guide, but I can't swear to that. All in all, we had a great experience with them. They are ocean side, so it's a quicker ride out.

On the same channel are several other good (but bigger) ops: Horizon, Rainbow Reef, Ocean, and probably several others.

Quiescence is great. That said, smaller boats are better in smaller seas. Laws of physics. If the waves are in the 3-5 category I would strongly recommend a larger vessel. You will get there faster and be far more comfortable during the dive. I would suggest a compromise in your case. A 12-20 passenger boat in the 36 ft range is ideal.

As JesperS said, Quiescence takes a few minutes longer because their dock is bay side, not ocean side, but it can't be THAT much longer than those docked on the ocean side in Key Largo, can it? Fifteen minutes more each way maybe? I have dived with them several times and dived with others, and the extra few minutes were not noticeable to me.

I also have been in the water with Sail Fish Scuba. They essentially run a four pack and will put a guide in the water with you. The owners Jen and Chris are knowledgeable and stress customer service--something that is lacking in most of the cattle boats that run out of Key Largo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom