Keeping Lobsters Alive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LobstaMan

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What is the best way to keep your bugs alive and fresh between dives? I would imagine putting them into a cooler or bucket with some salt water and sea grass/weed would work. I haven't got so lucky yet, but hope to! Thanks for the input.

LobstaMan

LobstaMan once bubbled...
What is the best way to keep your bugs alive and fresh between dives? I would imagine putting them into a cooler or bucket with some salt water and sea grass/weed would work. I haven't got so lucky yet, but hope to! Thanks for the input.

LobstaMan

The best way is to put them on ice. Those plastic re-freezable ice-packs work best, I've found. Fresh water is very bad for lobsters, so regular ice is not the ideal solution, but it will still work as long as you keep the lobsters out of the melting water. No need to bother with salt water/weeds, just keep them cold and they'll be fine for many, many hours.

Keep them cold and they don't need water. Putting them in a bucket of salt water does not work. I used to keep them in a paper bag in the refrigerator at home for 3+ days and they were still alive when i got ready to "cook" them.

Rich Hagelin

Appreciate the input, thanks.

LobstaMan

I don't think the lobsters like a salt water bath, even if kept cold with ice packs. I think it has something to do with there not being enough oxygen in a stagnant bucket of water.

I now transport in a cooler with re-useable ice packs and store in brown paper bag in fridge.

I don't know what Jeff's up to, but live lobster don't hang around for more than a few hours in my fridge before I have a serious NEED to eat them. :-D

I don't think the lobsters like a salt water bath, even if kept cold with ice packs. I think it has something to do with there not being enough oxygen in a stagnant bucket of water.

I now transport in a cooler with re-useable ice packs and store in brown paper bag in fridge.

I don't know what Jeff's up to, but live lobster don't hang around for more than a few hours in my fridge before I have a serious NEED to eat them. :-D

AMEN! :bomb:

This keeps them alive for awhile:
In a plastic container place Blue ice on bottom, rock weed on top with a moist towel on top of that.
They love the rockweed

yep...

Just put them on ice. They've been strong enough to run off my counter after 4 days in the bottom drawer of my fridge.
I'm thinking that I may just have to put some in the produce drawer, then get mu sister to pull some produce out. She'll die if there is a live lobster in there...great prank idea

LobstaMan

When diving from a boat, I hang them over the side in a bag. The bag keeps them imobile so they don't tear eachother apart. Beyond that, just keep them cold when it's time to get under way. Buckets and coolers of still water are supposed to be the worst (or so I'm told).

Back
Top Bottom