Keep overfilling my 95LP or get a 130HP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
I am thinking of getting a 130 cu. ft. HP steel tank for extra BT and multiple dives with a safety margin aided by my dive computer.
I do however, have a 95LP that I have overfilled to 3000-3200PSI on a regular basis. I know the 95LP will never be able to hold the volume of gas that the 130HP will be able to hold, even with an overfill that is pushing it.

From those of you that have had a 95LP and maybe have gone to a 130HP? How have things been overall for you? Comfort? Trim? In the water and out?

I may just a 130HP steel tank anyway sooner or later. Just wanted opinions from someone who has been in my "fins" before.

Thanks.

...HP tanks are a better choice for me, since most dive shops are pretty 'anal' about 'overfilling'.....so, for me, buying an LP tank with the hope of being able to overfill it is pointless....however, if you are able to fill your own tanks to whatever pressure you desire...lucky you!

I am thinking of getting a 130 cu. ft. HP steel tank for extra BT and multiple dives with a safety margin aided by my dive computer.
I do however, have a 95LP that I have overfilled to 3000-3200PSI on a regular basis. I know the 95LP will never be able to hold the volume of gas that the 130HP will be able to hold, even with an overfill that is pushing it.

From those of you that have had a 95LP and maybe have gone to a 130HP? How have things been overall for you? Comfort? Trim? In the water and out?

I may just a 130HP steel tank anyway sooner or later. Just wanted opinions from someone who has been in my "fins" before.

Thanks.

I'm in the same boat as you are, I overfill my lp95 all the time. I'm also considering getting a 130 for the same reasons as you. I'll be watching this post to see what others have to say.

As far as getting my LDS to overfill my 95LP it's been no problem. In fact one their most knowledgeable staff said cave divers do it all the time with no problems they told me about doing it to begin with. I looked at a 130 HP today at my LDS. It is still a big tank, even for a HP tank. Not taller than a 80AL, but alot wider around.

Why not go to doubles? The HP's are fine as long as you can get a shop to fill them properly for you. There are shops out there who only fill to 3000-3200 regardless of whether it's an HP or not. And HP tanks have to be filled slowly to get them up to pressure. They get so hot that if you are not careful a 130 filled to working pressure may read 3500 initially but cool down to much less than that. Then you need to top it off. Maybe twice depending on the shop compressor's rate of fill. If it gets filled to 3000 then you have 113 cu ft of gas. Still more than a 95 filled to 3000 but kinda defeats the purpose of spending the money for an extra 6 cu ft at 3000 psi. If you have no trouble getting HP fills then it may be good. I went to doubles when it came time to justify carry those amounts of gas. First set was a set of lp 72's that are compact, trim out nice, and have excellent buoyancy characteristics for me. Dove them yesterday in Lake Erie. Filled to 3000 PSI I had 176 cu ft of nitrox in an easy to manage package that I put together for about 350 bucks. 72's are cheap, mine were 75 each. Manifold for 130, bands 75. Understand that you may want to stay with ssingles but just suggesting another option. Or buy another 95 and double them up. Now we're talkin serious air supply at 3000!

Thanks for the input. I'll probably just stay with singles. Either the 95LP or the 130HP. I have a Zeagle Ranger LTD Back Inflation BC that I really love. I know that it can be set up for doubles, but to keep things simple on set up my 95LP on overfill or a 130HP tank should fit the bill for me now. I've heard some divers who dive with the single 130HP, are able to keep up with most doubles divers as far as average BT is concerned. But I know that's fairly relative.

My average fill on my double 95's is 3600psi.Once they were jacked up to 4200 by mistake.I love cave country.You could always carry a stage bottle for more air as well as redundants.I have swam a single 95 with a alum80 as a stage.I just put most of my weight in my right weight pocket to stay straight.Stage on the left.

130 c.f[95@3600psi] 136 c.f[120LP@3000psi]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom