Keep eye on NHC, possible storms about a week out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TD14 forecast to come slightly south of Coz as a strong tropical storm, with just below hurricane force winds.

If it stays at or below that forecast speed things wouldn't be too bad. The forecast winds aren't that strong and it is forecast to just move on through so duration isn't that long (unlike Wilma that went stationary for 72 hours with much stronger winds). That approach angle from the Southeast is probably reduces impacts to north part of the island (including town) since it means wind water/waves away from the West side of the island across the channel towards Playa.

If you have a Saturday flight there is a reasonable chance it gets cancelled at this point, would keep an eye out with airline. I figure most people know this, but a storm of this force shouldn't have too many lasting impacts as soon as weather clears (obviously would be wind and rain this weekend). If you have any travel plans past this weekend I wouldn't sweat it too much unless it strengths a lot beyond current forecast.

145738_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

NHC wind forecast
[Tropical Depression Fourteen Forecast Discussion]
FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 20/1500Z 15.1N 79.7W 30 KT 35 MPH
12H 21/0000Z 15.5N 81.9W 35 KT 40 MPH
24H 21/1200Z 16.3N 84.2W 40 KT 45 MPH
36H 22/0000Z 17.1N 85.5W 50 KT 60 MPH
48H 22/1200Z 18.4N 86.4W 55 KT 65 MPH
60H 23/0000Z 19.9N 87.4W 60 KT 70 MPH
72H 23/1200Z 21.5N 88.9W 45 KT 50 MPH
96H 24/1200Z 25.0N 92.0W 50 KT 60 MPH
120H 25/1200Z 28.0N 94.0W 50 KT 60 MPH

Now the window is narrowing and the predictions become more fine tuned. Trackthetropics.com is another good resource.
Screenshot_20200820-134409.png

MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL2_storm_info_1280x720.jpg

Ugh no bueno for my Saturday 1230pm Cancun arrival. Take a turn please.

Not the bedtime reading I was hoping for. 11pm Eastern NHC forecast has it as a minimal Cat 1 hurricane at landfall not that far south of here (Tulum general area by my eyeball). Evidently they placed the center a little further north and it will not pass over Honduras, which would have kept development in check for a little while. 75 mph is still manageable more or less, just fingers crossed it doesn't move much higher

025457_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

That’s some warm waters it’ll be entering...let’s hope it veers northeast!

I flew to Cozumel once expecting a hurricane to veer off, thinking I knew more than the experts. Two days later I escaped. It did veer south the day before it hit, but you never know. You're hoping to bag drag as it comes ashore? I bet your plane cancels. I was supposed to be there already but my travels fell apart, and now I am glad I am not.
000.jpg

Note they usually shut down ferry service well in advance of storms. I spent the night in Playa when Ike went up through the Yucatan Channel back in 2004 because I couldn't make the last 10 miles to Cozumel.

Note they usually shut down ferry service well in advance of storms. I spent the night in Playa when Ike went up through the Yucatan Channel back in 2004 because I couldn't make the last 10 miles to Cozumel.

Yup, flight will likely get cancelled. I was there last month for a week with perfect weather so can’t complain. I’m flexible and can reschedule.

Back
Top Bottom